Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Lets Ride 08 900 Custom
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Putting the final touches together for our trip north at the end of June. The thought came up about weather in the first part of July. Should we expect to have afternoon thunderstorms in the Montana - Wyoming area.
I leave LA on the 28 of June, we leave Salt Lake on the 30th heading up through Idaho to Glacier, stay in Kalispel for a couple nights then down to Helena, from there we are going to go through Red Lodge {will stop in to say Hi} over the Beartooth to Yellowstone. Then down through Jackson on back to Salt Lake. That time of year down here {in the Sierras any way} we could see 2:00 storms, should we expect that on those areas too. Thanks for any input.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Expect anything when it comes to weather...especially the closer you are to mountains. When I plan for a summer riding trip I try to have an alternate route to travel that is far enough away from a planned route...just in case.

One summer...a couple of years ago...Spok...Bill Austin and myself were traveling from Red Lodge to Glacier Park and ran into a "STORM FROM HELL" while nearing Helena Montana. To date that is "THE WORST" storm I have ever ridden in and actually had me wondering which one of us wouldn't make it...if not all of us. We experienced tornado like winds blowing tree branches accross the highway right in front of us...winds so strong it's amazing we were able to survive it...horizontal hail being driven by the same winds that literally peeled the peeling skin off of Spok's face on the side he was being pelted on. There was continuous lightning all around us striking and increasing the intensity of the "STORM FROM HELL". I cannot even begin to describe how intense that storm was but once we all rode out of it...I could see in both Spok's and Bill's face and their expressions and comments about what we just went through and survived...it was the worst storm all of us had experienced and felt lucky to be alive.

That was in July. So...you really can't predict where and when it'll strike so try and check the weather a day or so ahead of your travels so you can see if you'll encounter bad weather and if so...have another alternate route you can shoot for...just in case!

·
TV Guru
11,779 Posts
The worst thing about mountain weather is tunnels. You never know what you'll hit when you emerge on the other side. I've had sun going in and snow flurries or rain coming out. I've had 10 degrees or more temperature changes.

Likewise, some of those curvy mountain roads have surprises around some corners, like washouts, rock slides and animal residents. It can also be very windy as the tree line thins out.

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
Expect anything when it comes to weather...especially the closer you are to mountains. When I plan for a summer riding trip I try to have an alternate route to travel that is far enough away from a planned route...just in case.

One summer...a couple of years ago...Spok...Bill Austin and myself were traveling from Red Lodge to Glacier Park and ran into a "STORM FROM HELL" while nearing Helena Montana. To date that is "THE WORST" storm I have ever ridden in and actually had me wondering which one of us wouldn't make it...if not all of us. We experienced tornado like winds blowing tree branches accross the highway right in front of us...winds so strong it's amazing we were able to survive it...horizontal hail being driven by the same winds that literally peeled the peeling skin off of Spok's face on the side he was being pelted on. There was continuous lightning all around us striking and increasing the intensity of the "STORM FROM HELL". I cannot even begin to describe how intense that storm was but once we all rode out of it...I could see in both Spok's and Bill's face and their expressions and comments about what we just went through and survived...it was the worst storm all of us had experienced and felt lucky to be alive.

That was in July. So...you really can't predict where and when it'll strike so try and check the weather a day or so ahead of your travels so you can see if you'll encounter bad weather and if so...have another alternate route you can shoot for...just in case!

to this day, I still recall when we all gathered on the otherside of that storm to thank GOD we were all alive, that lone rider on the KLR heading helmetless and in the wifebeater teeshirt into that storm. He had no idea what he was in for.

·
Premium Member
4,749 Posts
You should expect thunderstorms, snow showers, fog in the early mornings and occasional ice. You may not get them but the best way of having 'em show up is to not be prepared.

·
Lets Ride 08 900 Custom
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am going to plan for all types of conditions. But is it kind of the 'every afternoon around noon' storms blow through and then clear after that. We can try to avoid being on the road and stopping for lunch around those typical times, or is it check the weather every morning before we leave one town on to the next. At least one of us will have a laptop with so we will stay up to date. Our route is set around our hotel stops, which are allready booked so altering the path will be limited.

·
TV Guru
11,779 Posts
I am going to plan for all types of conditions. But is it kind of the 'every afternoon around noon' storms blow through and then clear after that. We can try to avoid being on the road and stopping for lunch around those typical times, or is it check the weather every morning before we leave one town on to the next. At least one of us will have a laptop with so we will stay up to date. Our route is set around our hotel stops, which are allready booked so altering the path will be limited.
I would plan for the forecast to be completely wrong.

I don't think there's a profession where you can be wrong as much as these guys are and still keep your job. Use your eyes, not your computer and keep extra clothing layers and rain gear handy.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
to this day, I still recall when we all gathered on the otherside of that storm to thank GOD we were all alive, that lone rider on the KLR heading helmetless and in the wifebeater teeshirt into that storm. He had no idea what he was in for.
LOL... :)

We were all "ALIVE" and standing there watching that guy head into the black skies ahead knowing he couldn't survive what we just went through. If he did survive it...I'll bet he rides with full gear on now! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts