Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I bought a suzuki gs500f and I am really not that impressed. I would have liked more acceleration and handling. I am thinking about selling it and buying a 2005 ninja 500r. Can any one tell me if I am buying the same bike with just a different look.? Any 1 got any specs on both that I could compare or any info or opinions would be appreciated.

thanks.

·
Registered
605 Posts
heh, I've ridden the gs, gsx (suzuki), and the 500r (kawi)...and trust me going from a gs to a 500r if you're a speed freak is a wise choice...look around in classifieds first...then ask to lok at the bike and when you get there on your bike hopefully so that he knows you know how to ride...ask him to test ride it and you'll see the difference

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
There are about 12-14 HP difference between the gs500f and the ninja 500r, quite a noticeable difference. I would suggest getting a used one since they are unchanged since 94. Spend less money and have more bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks that link it helped all though parts were wrong. It said in the comparison that the suzuki red lined at 9.5 rpm, wrong that is the ninja I guess, the suzuki redlines at 11k. And not to mention the suzuki is also 4 valves per head, they said only 2. so now I question if they know what they are talking about. :x

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
redliner said:
Thanks that link it helped all though parts were wrong. It said in the comparison that the suzuki red lined at 9.5 rpm, wrong that is the ninja I guess, the suzuki redlines at 11k. And not to mention the suzuki is also 4 valves per head, they said only 2. so now I question if they know what they are talking about. :x
The kawi redlines at 11K, but the rev limited doesn't kick in until 12 or 12,5

Also the suzuki has 9.0:1 compression, the kawi has got 10.5:1 makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
0 :oops: if it is a difference you can feel then I am interested in the ninja, I think the gs500f looks better and sounds better, but cant out perform.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
12-14 HP is a very noticeable difference. The gs500f looks better, but still has older technology (oil cooled vs. water-cooled kawi)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm maybe I will go to the dealership and look at the ninja, it is just too bad there isnt 1 around here that will let you test ride. Will kinda suck to sell my gs500f for 4k knowing I just payed 5k 3 weeks ago. Only has 535 miles. If the ninja is only around a half a sec faster I may keep the gs500 cause I dont plan on raceing at the track, I just want a fun ride on the twisties. Maybe I can swap my engine for the ninja's :lol: then I get looks and performance.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
redliner said:
Hmm maybe I will go to the dealership and look at the ninja, it is just too bad there isnt 1 around here that will let you test ride. Will kinda suck to sell my gs500f for 4k knowing I just payed 5k 3 weeks ago. Only has 535 miles. If the ninja is only around a half a sec faster I may keep the gs500 cause I dont plan on raceing at the track, I just want a fun ride on the twisties. Maybe I can swap my engine for the ninja's :lol: then I get looks and performance.
You might look at dropping a tooth in the front sprocket on your gs500f, it'd help you a lot with more grunt. Highway mileage would go down, but you'd have more fun (and its cheaper than a new bike).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts