Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got an EX500 '94, and I was wondering if anyone can direct me to some typical maintenance. I am a first time rider. Unfortunately there isnt some sort of manual for the maintenance (at least I dont have one). I did a search and didnt find a whole lot. Thanks for baring with a newbie.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Get you a Clymer or Haynes repair manual from a shop or online. They are usually pretty cheap (under $30.00) and well worth the cost. They cover routine maintenance as well as help with repairs.
Probably the best $30.00 or less that you can spend on your bike.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
alphapenguin said:
I just got an EX500 '94, and I was wondering if anyone can direct me to some typical maintenance. I am a first time rider. Unfortunately there isnt some sort of manual for the maintenance (at least I dont have one). I did a search and didnt find a whole lot. Thanks for baring with a newbie.

Keep that chain lubed.
Check the tires pressure.
I use the highest grade gas (it doesnt cost much to fill up the tank!!)
Have fun!!! :wink:

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
MAINTENANCE MANUAL

Get Serious and get the Kawasaki Maintenance manual available through this forum sponsor! It has great information aandis for your bike! I can't believe people are pushing manuals that are not the true manuals from Kawasaki. Besides the FORUM that is providing this service has a discount on everything and it's a win-win situation! C'MON GUYS! SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR! saving $2.00 on a manual is a small fee compared to losing what we are being provided with...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi All,

I just got an EX500 '89. I purchased the Clymer manual through my local shop. I am not as happy with it as I am with the Haynes manual for my Jeep. Is the Haynes manual for Kawasakis any good? What is the Kawasaki Maintenance manual? Is it the shop manual put out by Kawasaki? I figure I'll need one of those evenutally. Speaking of the sponsor I went to www.beartoothkawasaki.com and the page didn't load.

Thanks for being out here folks.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Clymer or haynes will work, but I myself have a clymer and havn't had any issues with it not being helpful. I wish I had a haynes to compare it to though.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Manuals

YOu want to be happy with the manuals that you have then Order the Owners Manual and Maintenance manual from our FORUM Sponsor beartooth Kawasaki. Calling them is great and they are very friendly, or you can hit the Discount Kawasaki Parts & Accessories at the top of this page and get them too. I will almost always tell people to support the very forum that we are using. They don't have to but it is great when you need information or you need parts...

·
Registered
85 Posts
For what it's worth, I find the Kawasaki Service Manual(s) difficult to follow. I have lots and lots of experience using Chilton and Hayes for autos and they make much more sense than the factory Kaw manual to me. For example, the EX500 requires two separate manuals....one for the EX500 parent and one for the EX500 specificially. So, you have to look in two manuals for everything, then you have to try to decipher the techy written descriptions. Being as they are shop manuals, I guess they do include most everything you would need to know, but it takes some getting used to.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
you run the highest octane gas you can get so that you don't get pre-ignition. (preignition is very very bad - you hear 'valve chatter'). if you can run 88 and it runs good, then you have no need to run high octane. but on high revving high compression engines you will probably need to run high grade gas.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have to agree with axledeep on using the Kawa manuals. I bought them both for something like $70, only to find they aren't too terribly much help. You have to remember that the official tech manuals are written for Kawasaki mechanics, not the shade-tree mechanics like us. They are very sparse in their pictures and explanations. I went and bought a Haynes manual for $25 while I was waiting for official manuals to arrive in the mail (it took over 2 months!!!) and found it to be much, much more helpful. Good pictures, good instructions, I would recommend it, the only problem is that the Haynes EX500 manuals only go up to the '96 model year. I initially ran into a problem with the turn signals being different on my '04 than the ones described in the manual, but I think everything else is the same. I don't have the Clymer for the EX500, but I used to have one for my old Honda Nighthawk 250, it was a pretty good manual, but I think the Haynes is just a little easier to use and a little more clear. So my ranking, from my limited use of the Clymer for a completely different bike, would Haynes first, Clymer a close second, and the official tech manuals a distant third.

In regard to the fuel to use, I had been using the minimum 87 since I got the bike (approx. 4.5K miles now), yesterday for kicks I put in the 93 super unleaded. It made a pretty big difference!! I'm not so sure I had more power, but the engine sure does run smoother now. I have a lot less buzzing in my bars at at all rpms than I did running the regular 87. I'll use 93 exclusively now, it only cost me something like a dollar more when I filled the entire tank. I'm curious to see what my fuel consumption will be like now. I've heard some folks get better mileage when they run the higher octane gas.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Fuel System

I have a technical question for anyone with an evaporative fuel system or fuel pump knowledge. I have a Ninja EX 500 and I cant get it to start. It starts fine if I inject it manually with a fuel spray (carb cleaner), but if its just using the gas tank it does not work. The tank had some rust in it so I cleaned it out and sealed it. I think the fuel pump or evaporator system is messed up. Fuel is coming out of the pet**** but not out of the spouts at the rear of the tank (anyone know how those work??).

As far as I can tell this bike does not have a fuel pump. I think its a passive system using an "evaporator". I am wondering what is a good way to test the evaporator or diagnose where my fuel problem is occurring?

Anything at all would be appreciated and thanks for reading!

Happy Riding!

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
Routine8,

Let me be the first to welcome you to the forum!!!!! Happy New Year!!!! too.

I can't answer this question, but I would like to point out the you could also post it down on the Mechanics Corner. You have a better chance of getting a quicker answer there!!!

We have lots of experienced mechanics up here. You shall get an answer!!!!!

Heather

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
R8 - your bike is vacuum fed into the 34mmCVK carbs. Vacuum is supplied by carb. The carbs may have crud or are gummed up with the rust in the tank it suggests that your carbs are in the same condition.

If you open up the carbs drain valve you will probably see crud or rust come out. Just need to clean the carbs really well and take them off the bike for a thorough inspection. Pay close attention to cleaning the jets and float needles.

The tubes on the tank are your vent tube and the other is for emissions to go back through the gas vapor filter (charcoal usually). Just make sure the tubes are not obstructed or pinched. Same with your fuel hose.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts