Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All, new to this site but long time dirt bike rider (KLR250,DT125,KTM300EXC, 450EXC, DRZ400E, TRX450r), anyway long story short, picked a beater on Craigslist just before Xmas, 86 KX125 (E1) for $100, ran, just about, and overall in $100 condition...stripped, cleaned, lubed, diagnosed, rebuilt. The piston was cracked, bore damaged so I got it re-nikasiled, cases split, all good in there, new piston, put it back together last few days. Two quick questions. The head gasket does not completely match the water channels in the front of the cylinder, there are two holes in the gasket, rather than cutouts..is this ok?
Also, rear wheel, there are two spacers one bigger than the other, that go either side, can somone tell me which one goes where, the brakes are shot at moment so its hard to see by eye and the manual is a bit ambiguous...one way looks good for alignment in swing arm, but the other way looks better for the brakes..can someone help me out on this please..?

Thank all, good site by the way...been reading alot of helpfull stuff.

·
Politicians' Nightmare
1,871 Posts
I can't answer your questions, but welcome to the forum! Good luck with the bike!

·
Dirt Bike Dad
144 Posts
I know that my God father used to make his own gaskets for his farm tractors worth $$$$$$$ so i dont think holes would be a problem.
Make sure they dont restrict flow, dont have any loose material and are lined up correctly.

·
Registered
917 Posts
head gasket holes often dont match so the coolant flows to opposite side of the cylinder. Large holes where coolant entered and coolant would just fall where it entered on one side and only pull heat away from one small section of the head and cylinder.

As far as the spacers , try looking at an online parts diagram.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I know some gaskets don't match the water channles to stop too much flow thru the head or cylinder, which gives better transfer of heat to the coolant, I was just checking this was the case here..!

I looked at the online parts diagram...several of them, they aren't very clear, the part descriptions don't really help either...why can't they call them big spacer / small spacer?
Anyone have an 80's KX125 that could have a very quick look for me? Just need to know which side large spacer goes on when fitting the rear wheel...Thanks!

·
Knows more than he needs
190 Posts
i think the 89-03 models are the same. not 100& sure though. i have a 97 kx100 which is basically the same bike and the small spacer goes on the right side. idk if this will help but i figured i'd put it out there

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i think the 89-03 models are the same. not 100& sure though. i have a 97 kx100 which is basically the same bike and the small spacer goes on the right side. idk if this will help but i figured i'd put it out there
Thanks, anything helps...I'll check the parts blow up for your year and see if it matches the diagram for mine,,,or close anyway.

Anyone else with an older bike?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts