Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Mature Rider
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been out of riding for quite some time (like 30 years) but decided to get back into riding for the pure enjoyment I remembered from riding before. I rode quite a bit in HS and college, but when kids came, the bike went. So, at 58 years old I bought an 01 Vulcan 800 Classic, passed my skills test and am now sitting here watching it snow. Talk about an exercise in poor timing, I had a chance to ride for about a month before it got too cold. Anyhow I'm looking forward to the return of warm weather, getting back in the saddle, enjoying the thrill of riding again, and getting to know some other riders. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

·
just cruzin by!
1,398 Posts
Welcome to the forum! there is plenty of good reading here to past the time till you can get her out of the stable and on the road.You will love the 800 classic! Now is the time to decide what extra's you need.Looks like I have to wait out this stuff too.Lots of salt and ice still on the road.Not riding for 7 days makes one week!!!:mrgreen:

·
Love my 1500!
2,460 Posts
Welcome! This is a great place to hang out when the weather is too bad for riding! The 800 is a great bike, you won't be disappointed.

·
Proud Owner Of This Forum & Beartooth Kawasaki
2,735 Posts
Welcome to our community, you are our neighbor just over the hill from Montana. Enjoy the forum and I know you will find folks very helpful,interesting and friendly.

·
Super Moderator
10,874 Posts
Welcome to the forum! How about some pics, of your bike and of the snow. We've got the cold, at least for central NC, so show me the weather!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Bike pics good! Snow pics bad! :)

Welcome! I'm about that same age and finally started riding just over a year ago. Always wanted to ride, but being married to an ICU nurse... She retired from that and became a teacher, so here I am. I guess it is OK as long as she does not have to deal with me "professionally" :)

Brian

·
Many roads -little time
157 Posts
Snowy in Utah too

I've been out of riding for quite some time (like 30 years) but decided to get back into riding for the pure enjoyment I remembered from riding before. I rode quite a bit in HS and college, but when kids came, the bike went. So, at 58 years old I bought an 01 Vulcan 800 Classic, passed my skills test and am now sitting here watching it snow. Talk about an exercise in poor timing, I had a chance to ride for about a month before it got too cold. Anyhow I'm looking forward to the return of warm weather, getting back in the saddle, enjoying the thrill of riding again, and getting to know some other riders. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.
I am right there with you just in Utah. I likewise have started riding again after a 30 year hiatus and can't stand it sitting in the garage so long.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Welcome, seems I see alot of us "old farts" getting back into it :) Kinda wish I'd been able to stay with it from the get go. But I'm back and traffic and all willing, I'm gonna stay riding!!
Even signing up for the new rider's course....Learned over the years, I need to learn more :)
Anyway, welcome and I look forward to reading about your adventures.

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,189 Posts
Bryan, do you guys ride all year long? Does it ever get too cold (or hot) to ride in AZ?
Yes, yes and yes!

I ride pretty much all year long. In the summer it does get hot-really hot (100+ at midnight), but I just have to bear it long enough to get out of the valley and into the higher elevations. I try to come back down into the valley after dark!

During the 'winter', I stay in more in the lower elevations. It still gets cold (for us lowlanders) at about 30*, but that lets me try out my winter gear.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Welcome! (And show me another forum where you also get a welcome from the owner of the forum - amazing!)

We had snow this week, but it melted already. Tomorrow its supposed to be 48 degrees, sunny & mild, so whoooppeee!!! Guess where I'll be ALL DAY? "One more time, please" - that's what I say every time I put her away, hoping that wasn't my last ride for the season.

Is it possible to be addicted to two-wheeling?? I wasn't like this during the hot summer, actually preferred the a/c in the car (I ride with full gear), but once fall hit, all I want to do is ride. Get my ride (fix) and I'm a happy camper the rest of the day. Tights, long johns over those, thick jeans over those, "Red Head" socks from Bass Pro Shops, and I'm off!

·
Many roads -little time
157 Posts
Too hot to ride

Yes, yes and yes!

I ride pretty much all year long. In the summer it does get hot-really hot (100+ at midnight), but I just have to bear it long enough to get out of the valley and into the higher elevations. I try to come back down into the valley after dark!

During the 'winter', I stay in more in the lower elevations. It still gets cold (for us lowlanders) at about 30*, but that lets me try out my winter gear.
I never think of Arizona even having higher elevations. I just always thought of a dry hot desert environment but we are the same in Utah. Some desert and some mountains. It really does make a difference when you get out of the valley and up in the mountains though. I'm still refreshing my skills and gear so I don't have everything I need yet to do 20-30 degrees around here but I have been out a few times when it was sunny and in the low 40s. I actually enjoyed that. I should have all my gear by next winter but finding the right stuff is a chore.

·
Many roads -little time
157 Posts
Welcome

Welcome! (And show me another forum where you also get a welcome from the owner of the forum - amazing!)
Well I do feel honored! Thank you.

We had snow this week, but it melted already. Tomorrow its supposed to be 48 degrees, sunny & mild, so whoooppeee!!! Guess where I'll be ALL DAY? "One more time, please" - that's what I say every time I put her away, hoping that wasn't my last ride for the season.
You're making me sad. I just look in the garage and turn the light on and grin.

Is it possible to be addicted to two-wheeling?? I wasn't like this during the hot summer, actually preferred the a/c in the car (I ride with full gear), but once fall hit, all I want to do is ride. Get my ride (fix) and I'm a happy camper the rest of the day. Tights, long johns over those, thick jeans over those, "Red Head" socks from Bass Pro Shops, and I'm off!
I'm like you. I think it is addicting and I too like the cooler weather better but I haven't found out about redhead sox yet. Is that what I need? So far I have been comfortable except for the hands. I have bought 3 pairs of gloves and nothing yet that keeps my hands warm.

·
Many roads -little time
157 Posts
Heated gear

. . . and expensive if you get heated gear!
Is that what I need to start looking for? I have neer even considered heated gear but proabably all I would need is gloves. So far my leather jacket and jeans over long johns are fine.

·
We need a Sarcasm Font!
3,864 Posts
Welcome, Idaho! What part are you from? I'm in Spokane. There are lots of us "Pacific Northwesterners" here, even a few Inland Empire folks!

Yeah, lots of good reading here and I pass my winters reading RoadRUNNER, Rider, and Motorcycle Consumer News magazines.

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,189 Posts
Is that what I need to start looking for? I have neer even considered heated gear but proabably all I would need is gloves. So far my leather jacket and jeans over long johns are fine.
Yeah, I'm okay with long johns, but the wife gets cold below 50! Kill the wind and it's pretty easy to keep warm (at most temps). I have definately considered electric gear for her, but she has to WANT to ride in the cold before I'll spend the bucks . . .

1 - 20 of 28 Posts