Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it really needed to learn to ride a dirt bike before I learn to ride a Streetbike? I am getting a kawasaki 500 and I am taking a beginners riders course , but someone told me I need to learn how to ride a dirtbike first. Is this true?

·
Registered
213 Posts
I think you're on the right track. A 500 is a good starter bike and while dirt experience helps, it is not required. Taking the MSF course is a great start as well. Welcome and enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
512 Posts
iv never rode a motorcycle till i got my 500 and it really wasnt too hard at all. i killed it once i believe the 3rd day i had it and thats the only trouble iv had. the 500 is a really good starter bike i believe, good power, throttle isnt too touchy, and cheaper insurance.

·
Registered
305 Posts
NiNjA_-_RiDeR said:
Ok , thanks guys. Also do you guys know about what I can expect to pay?
In california, the msf is about $200. not sure how much it is in other states. then about $20 or so to take the dmv written test.

B

·
0 Posts
At first I got a quote for 179 bux for 12 months, then after they reviewed my driving recod and credit history they bumped it up 44 more bucks, which still isn't that bad compared to my 01 Ranger Edge, I pay 220 a month for that sucker.

fyi I'm 21 and have an okay driving record.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Took the MSF this past weekend in San Antonio and it cost a whopping 150.00, insurance for me is 786.00 a year, which comes out to like 68.00 a/mo full coverage after a 108.00 deposit! By the way you do not need to have dirt experience to be able to ride street, but like any knowledge it does help! Just my .02!!!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the help fellas , I really appreciate it. I am turning 17 in june , so i am young compared to you guys. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
42 Posts
NiNjA_-_RiDeR said:
Thanks for all the help fellas , I really appreciate it. I am turning 17 in june , so i am young compared to you guys. Thanks for the input.
Hey i'm not the youngest on the board anymore (i turn 17 at the end of march)
i ride an ex500 as well, though i started on a honda nighthawk250. I've never ridden a dirtbike in my life, street only at this point. i would like to take a ktm offroad sometime, but that's for another time. All i can say is be careful and wear good gear (helmet and gloves especially). And i commend you for looking into taking the msf, probably one of the best choices you can make. as for costs

msf = 250$ in florida
license = 10$
Insurance (full coverage)= about 680$ for me

for my dad's nighthawk 750 it's only 14$ for his insurance! that's crazy

·
Registered
694 Posts
sci fly said:
for my dad's nighthawk 750 it's only 14$ for his insurance! that's crazy
*blink**blink* Wow! And we thought my husband had a good deal. We're paying $120/yr (full coverage, year round) for his Vulcan 750. My bike added something like $250/yr to that. On the plus side, he did a quote and found that when I move to a 500 the insurance probably won't change. No clue why, although our guess is that Progressive does engine size brackets for figuring out rates.

Happy and safe riding!

Angela

1 - 20 of 21 Posts