Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey , I was reading some of your advice and I think it sounds really good yall all sound like really nice people. So I though Id ask for some advice. Anyway I Absoultley love bikes & Im finally able to get one but I dont know what to get because Im a beginner. Im about 5'2 and 110 lbs I want it to be fast but everyone says that its to dangerous to get as a first bike, plus I cant find any that I can fit on besides a ninja 250 but I hear how those are joke bikes. Im willing to take all the safety classes I can because well of course I dont want to die. So any help yall can give just shoot. Thanks. -Sasha

·
Registered
134 Posts

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
The ninja 250 is far from a joke bike, it'll still go over 100mph. the main thing is to use the bike as a training tool, ride it for a year or so and when you've gotten some skills built up you can move to something bigger (although you'll have to lower most of them)

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

ninja 250=no joke

welcome, seat height is a issue at your height so sit on a few bikes and see how they fit :wink:

·
Road Snot Needs A Kleenex
364 Posts
First off, Welcome to the Forum!!

You called the Ninja 250 a joke bike, ahhh your gonna get it now....J/K

A smaller bike is a great way to start. You can learn the basics and still have fun. Most bikes, even a 250, can out accelerate any common production car, but speed isn't really what you're gonna want starting off anyways. First, you want something that cand handle and be manuverable a slow speeds. Second, you are going to want a slower bike, that isn't that responsive with the throttle so it'll be more forgiving. (At least that's my .02).

Again, welcome and drive safe. It's always great to see women getting on bikes.

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
Welcome, I've nothing to add, the posts that came before all say it so well!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Another thought when it comes ego and pride. It's never a good thing to base decisions on as you knwo but it can get the best of any of us somedays. So picture this:

It's 2006. Looking back, you've put a many thousands of miles on a smaller bike, learned slowly and built up skill and confidence. Some people made jokes about the bike along the way. But the jokes didn't kill you. And hey... at least you were out there riding and learning safely.

And here you are now, sitting on your brand new 2006 ZX-6R. A couple of the jokesters 2 years ago sadly are not around to compliment your new bike. Of the guys riding now, another good section of them are new riders on the same bike as you, and can't even pretend to keep up. They pose, while you can really RIDE. And in a year or two after that... you'll still be riding, harder and better (and safely) while some of those guys again won't have made it out of their first year alive. Some of them might be alive but no longer riding. And some might still be riding but not as skilled as you because you started small and took the right steps.

So when ego and pride do step in, it will be earned, not simply bought.

Ride safe and here's to a long life on 2 wheels.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

we knew that sasha :wink: that's why you get so much attention
they won't talk to me that much :lol: -girl riders get us all excited 8)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Re: re

bikeaholic said:
we knew that sasha :wink: that's why you get so much attention
they won't talk to me that much :lol: -girl riders get us all excited 8)
ain't that the truth..... Back to the bike selection. If your a beginner you're probably going to lay the bike down at one point or another. Hey, it happens, I did it when I started too. I'm not saying you'll drop it on the highway, but it might tip in your driveway or if you stall it while getting used to the clutch. For this reason you'll hear some people steering you away from a fully faired bike as a starter, because those plastics are going to look rough after they've kissed pavement. It's just something to think about. Other than that listen to what these guys are saying. A 250 will fly like any other bike, so pick one that fits you when you sit on it or ride it. Being comfortable with your bike is the most important thing.

·
Registered
153 Posts
:D Be safe! The 250 as everyone says is no joke! I also have some height issues and it sucks! I love my 500R but will upgrade in a year or so. When you are learning you need to be comfortable. :D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts