Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi im new to all this so please bear with me. i have a kx125 1987 model. i bought it off a friend last week with no spark. he has told me its the stator and to be honest he doesnt know his head from his A**E so is there a way of testing the stator? and work my way from there? and if not are there any common problems? i have a few 2nd hand parts but i cant guarantee they work so?? any ideas, tips on where to go? advice will be very much appreciated cheers john

·
Registered
264 Posts
Seeing as no one else has piped up, I will throw in a couple of thoughts. Others here are MUCH better at diagnosis...

What does the bike do? Does it turn over? Stator being a charging item, I assume the battery is dead? The first thing would be to put a Battery Tender on it and get it charged up. A car type battery charger can be too much for a MC battery. If (or when) it is turning over, pull the spark plug boot, insert a screw driver, rest the other end of the blade a small distance from a ground and see if you are getting a spark.

A service manual is a big help also. They will list steps to follow to track things down.

Someone more better will pop up soon!

Brian

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
brilliant, any ideas on a sort of reading i should have? my best mate is an electrician so think he may be coming round today for a quick viewing. thanks for the replies, i like this site been reading other peoples problems and others views on how to repair fantastic, many thanks :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Found the problem!!! the coil has fused together! tested it with my mate the electrician and he even said very little resistance? i had a 2nd hand one at the ready! yet another problem as there always is, it was the wrong 1. this spare 1 i had had a little black box on the stator? and the 1 on the bike already had a primary and secondary coil? so need to get searching for parts :) MORE MONEY!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.