Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a 1985 kx 125 that idles high when it's started cold. When it's warm it idles perfect, and it's a strong running bike. It has the original carb but it has an 88 kx 125 intake boot so the carb is on a weird angle. Any tips or comments? Thanks

·
Registered
917 Posts
if carb works correctly , then it is supposed to idle high until it is warmed up.

To me that sounds completely normal.

Often running different boot that changes float bowl angle requires a change in float height. Yours is probably fine.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Hi I have a 1985 kx 125 that idles high when it's started cold. When it's warm it idles perfect, and it's a strong running bike. It has the original carb but it has an 88 kx 125 intake boot so the carb is on a weird angle. Any tips or comments? Thanks

Most riders choose NOT to have an idle on MX type bikes. When you have an idle, after a hard extended acceleration, residual air and fuel are still in the crankcases, and the fact the carb slide is held slightly open by the idle screw, you tend to experience "idle hang" which is higher rpm's for a short period of time. In an ideal situation, you want to accelerate hard, then chop the throttle and have the engine idle right down, to allow the use of the rear brakes. I raced 125's for 18 years, and you don't want hanging rpm's on a race bike... You can have an idle if you want, it's just personal preference.

·
Registered
917 Posts
That's what I had one of mine like. If i chopped the throttle and slammed on the brakes it would basically stall. Or if just stopped and let go of the throttle it usually would just stall immediately. I set it up that way. I really felt it was not meant to idle and to make it harder on my friends (or their friends) who always wanted to ride it. Anyone who got frustrated by it was sure to be a newb and not to be trusted on it or it would just put them off completely.

My current motorcycle is kinda like this and was frustrating to me stalling on stops while trail riding in tight, slow, rough areas this summer. This one is not by choice though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.