Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is another thread going about sport bikers being wimps when it comes to low temp riding. I do not know about the rest of you but I can handle the cold. It is the high winds that scare the crap out of me.

I went riding yesterday and even though the temps were in the high 30's it was not the cold that bothered me, it was the wind. We get some very high winds here in the Columbia Gorge area. I am not talking a light breeze. I am talking about gusts that would push me a good 5-6 ft to one side. Going across the bridge over the gorge here in PDX I had to lean like I was making a hard left turn the whole time just to stay upright and moving in a straight line. After about an hour od riding I decided to turn tail and head hiome before I soiled my shorts.

·
humble pie consumer
3,853 Posts
i agree about high winds being scary, they also quickly ware you out. the high winds that blow out on the high desert are dangerous too. when you lean into the wind and then pass a semi the wind instantly stops and you can go into the truck or adjacent lane if you're not careful.

·
Full Circle Rider
1,611 Posts
While it did not stop all of the issues I had when riding in high winds, I did note that the new Avon Storm tires I just installed allowed the bike to track much cleaner in high winds than the stock Bridgestones. Not saying they made it perfect, but I could sure feel a difference.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I often ride along the shoreline near where I live...Peggy's Cove and all those tourist areas. The scenery is great, but when there's an east wind right off the ocean, it can get tricky riding. I've learned to anticipate the open areas the allow a sudden blast of wind through, in around the heads of coves seem to be the worst. Still, the incredible scenery and terrific twisties along the shore make up for occasionally getting a little spook. All it really takes is adjusting speed, driving sensibly and giving lots of room from the yellow line.

·
Does anyone read these?
173 Posts
I was on 35N the other day in moderate winds. But the traffic (and trucks) at 70MPH seemed to make it a lot worse. It was a constant struggle and I really didn't enjoy that part of the ride.

·
MaNaMaNa DoDoDoDoDo
4,767 Posts
I really hate the gorge when it is windy. Those wind gust hit 50 mph or more. fighting those winds just wear you out. My wind gusts on I-5 to Portland only hit 30 mph, but are infrequent compared to the gorge. Which bridge were you coming over?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really hate the gorge when it is windy. Those wind gust hit 50 mph or more. fighting those winds just wear you out. My wind gusts on I-5 to Portland only hit 30 mph, but are infrequent compared to the gorge. Which bridge were you coming over?
Glenn Jackson/I-205 bridge.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Just wanted to add my 2 cents about wind I dont like the wind at all. I did ride up to Divide Colo, on the 19th of this month, and I thought my custom was very stable in the high winds I did not even realize the wind was that high until I stopped 60mph gusts
Proud American

·
the "fun" guy
32,858 Posts
Spok...Bill Austin...Moparman and myself have ridden in very high winds on two seperate occasions and it wasn't pretty. I'd say if you choose to ride in high wind conditions alot eventually the wind will win and you will lose. Unless of course you are superman. ;)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Spok...Bill Austin...Moparman and myself have ridden in very high winds on two seperate occasions and it wasn't pretty. I'd say if you choose to ride in high wind conditions alot eventually the wind will win and you will lose. Unless of course you are superman. ;)
Gee, you must have noticed my ring. It kind of gives away my secret identity. :biggrin:

·
Millenium Vulcan Pilot
3,808 Posts
That is when you need a BIG HEAVY V2K...:lol:

I've ridden in some high winds and she is stable. But I'm not sure they were blowing as hard as you ran into. I know I felt like the wind wanted to rip me from the V2K, but the V2K was rock steady and straight.

I remember riding my old XL 250 Honda across a bridge or two with high winds, and your right, very SPOOKY!

·
MaNaMaNa DoDoDoDoDo
4,767 Posts
Glenn Jackson/I-205 bridge.
I have not been across that one when it has been real windy, but understand it is one of the most dangerous when the wind gusts. I have been across the Bridge of the Gods (Cascade Locks/Stevenson). That's really exciting with the grate.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.