Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a down side to highway bars? No pun intended.

·
Live Long & Prosper
556 Posts
I can't think of one and I'd be lost without mine. Plus I'd need some anti-gravity devices for those highway pegs that would otherwise just be suspended in air. ;)

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have put almost 11,000 miles on my 900 within it ever going down, till two weeks ago when a 70 plus mph gust rolled it over while parked right before my eyes. Because of the highway bars, the bike did not suffer any damage at all. Great investment. I like the looks as well. I like having my highway pegs out on them

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Downside of Bars

Is there a down side to highway bars? No pun intended.
Let me see...downside of highway bars? The only down side I can think of is it will add more weight to the bike. It is really not significant to affect mpg #'s.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The reason that I asked was, because I had read in a post somewhere that stated that there was a downside...........oh well...... maybe it was one of those things that only occurs when the planets are in alignment.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
One of the guys on the Delphi forum reported that the older design Cobras were a bit low and ended up throwing him into a ditch.
A friend cautioned me on mine that he had seen (we're talking early 80s police bikes) where the bars, rather than catch the bike, would act as a roller and result in damage to the tank.

I've dropped mine with and without the bars a few times... the floorboard has always caught it, and I don't drag the bars in the twisties... just the floorboards.

·
Riding daily
4,688 Posts
Looks like they're a win win accessory. No real down side. I haven't gotten any yet but I will before it warms up.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice try, but I think the handle bars are wider.............keep thinking.

·
Registered
33 Posts
When I took the motorcycle safety class, the instructor said that the only downside to highway bars is that, while they lessen the chance of lower leg injury, they may raise the chance of upper leg injury. This is because in a crash the way the bike falls may cause your upper leg to be caught under the bike, instead of your lower leg.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What?......................

·
Registered
17,940 Posts
When I took the motorcycle safety class, the instructor said that the only downside to highway bars is that, while they lessen the chance of lower leg injury, they may raise the chance of upper leg injury. This is because in a crash the way the bike falls may cause your upper leg to be caught under the bike, instead of your lower leg.
I'm raising the "BS" Flag on that one.

There is no downside to highway bars.

·
Recycled Rider
583 Posts
I've seen a fair number of upper leg fractures from bikes with no highway bars (former EMT).
How about:
There might be some windshield's/lowers/fairings that would hit the highway bar ??

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok, ok....I guess we found one or two. I still don't follow the logic on this upper leg injury deal.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
+1

My MSF instructor told us that they are sold as "highway bars" or "engine guards" for liability reasons... that they all have a disclaimer that they may not hold up in a drop, but that honestly, if the impact is severe enough to cause the bar to fold back and pinch your leg, you're going to be in serious hurt with or without the bars.

On the good side, since they aren't likely to fold back, as long as you keep your feet on the boards and don't let a foot get caught under the frame (very common when people try to catch themselves going down), the bar will help to hold the bike up and prevent you from getting trapped againt the tank.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just passing alongi nformation I was told. Sounds like the MSF instructor was wrong. I do not think I heard him wrong, as my wife was in the same class and heard the same thing. oh well.

·
Extreme Gizmologist
2,347 Posts
Got a Cobra highway bar on my 2006 Mean Streak and Kawasaki bar on 1999 Drifter 1500. Only downside for me is maneuvering them when parking in my garage which is a bit cramped, especially now that I have a nice, full-size lift table.

Clamping down highway pegs on the bars tight enough may crack the chrome plating or powder coating, put something between the clamp and the bar. I ended taking my highway pegs off because I didn't like using them.

I'd love to have Lindby bars on my Mean Streak, but they're not listed as a direct fit. They do have them for 1500/1600 classics however.

·
Deeppurple52
2,072 Posts
All of the second guessing aside, they are the best investment you can make. I am not foolish enough to even consider them as crash protection... but, they are great bike protection for the next time your foot slips and down goes your ride. With all of the $$ wasted on non-functional bling, this is something that really works. Pay now or pay later. Git sum!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts