Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Hinged full face helmet

5K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  petenomad 
#1 ·
Hi,
Anyone have any experience with the hinged Mex/Max full face helmet?
I've never heard of them until today & am would like some other opinions.
Thanx

#3 ·
hinged full face

not had exp of that one but tried others, best 1 i found is the laser, fits tight & plenty of room in front if u have beard or big chin,great 4 riding in town, doesn't pull your head back, had mine 3+yrs & 15000 mls, just bought new model even better :lol: :lol: try a few before u choose, hope this helps, keep on rolling l8r 'the biker' 8) 8)

#4 ·
hinged fullface helmet

haven't heard of that helmet brand. Will have to check it out.
I did try on the HJC hinged fullface. Was told it's to be a lot tighter than I've been wearing. Sounds like a good headache to me. But I guess if it keeps me intact that's the important part, huh.
Thanx for the reply.

#5 ·
I bought HJC Symax helmets for my son and myself. I really wanted a Snell rated full face for the most protection, but I also liked the ease of flipping it open to talk. I wanted to have quick access to talk because my son is very young. The flip helmets do not offer as much protection as a fixed full-face, so none of them are Snell rated. But it seemed like a fair compromise. We like ours a lot -- good fit, quality construction, removable parts for washing, and adequate venting. But I have heard some people say that on this particular helmet the visor never fits right after you take it off once.
Curt

#6 ·
hinged full face helmet

I recently purchased a Fulmer AF-M Modus hinged full face helmet. It is well constructed, fits well, and has a removeable flip up face shield. Their web site isn't much. You must download a 998 kb pdf file to see their catalog. I ordered their catalog from their website. It is www.fulmerhelmets.com for anyone interested. :roll:

#7 ·
Curt said:
I bought HJC Symax helmets for my son and myself.

The flip helmets do not offer as much protection as a fixed full-face, so none of them are Snell rated.

But I have heard some people say that on this particular helmet the visor never fits right after you take it off once.
Curt
I have a Symax also. I haven't had a problem with the shield. Had it on and off several times. They can be a bit tricky to put on. Maybe that's part of it.

An interesting note about SNELL and helmet styles, I had an HJC Open face...forget the exact model....something 23, DOT only. Anyway, I loaned it to a friend who did a low speed low side on a mountain curve and scratched the whole side of it up, face shield and all. BTW, he was skinned up (not his face), but ok. He gave me money to replace it and I found another open face HJC I liked. When I received it it was SNELL and DOT approved!! A pleasant suprise. It's the AC-3. I am not sure of SNELL test criteria, but found this interesting.

#11 ·
I just purchased an HJC SyMax 2 after a LOT of web-searching. I read all the reviews I could google, plus watched videos on some of the various make/model helmets. One thing that I noticed was that there wasn't a single modular helmet that wasn't rated as being LOUD. All of the reviews recommended the use of earplugs when using them.

#13 ·
I want something (FF, non modular) that isolates most, or the majority of the noise. There just has to be something out there that does that.

Ear plugs are an option and I wear them when I go on rides, but I would like to eliminate them if at all possible.

From what I've read about both FF and modular, possibly the best you can hope for is a noise level about even par with a half helmet. Pick out a helmet brand/model and run a google search on it with the word "review" on the end. Chances are that WebBikeWorld has a review on it somewhere. The most important thing for cutting noise is a good, snug fit and even at that earplugs may be necessary.

#14 ·
Modular HJC Helmets and noise...

From what I've read about both FF and modular, possibly the best you can hope for is a noise level about even par with a half helmet. Pick out a helmet brand/model and run a google search on it with the word "review" on the end. Chances are that WebBikeWorld has a review on it somewhere. The most important thing for cutting noise is a good, snug fit and even at that earplugs may be necessary.
I read all these posts with much interest... I too have an HJC Modular (Sy Max I think) very noisy!!! not much roomfor my beard as stated by "the biker" I like it beacause my wife and I use our radio/intercom with it when riding together and I LOVE the flip up part but it is still noisy as Hell. My wife just bought a Scorpion EX-700 Chamelion and says it is very quiet. I also have a Z1R ACE open face with flip up shield that is much quieter... go figure and it is light and comfortable too. I intend to get a full face, possibly non Modualr helmet this winter but I need cool graphics and most importanly, Quietness. I have been looking at Scorpion, Icon and a couple others any ideas?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.