Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering a few different exhaust systems for my 06 1500 classic. I like the look of the Cobra speedster slashdowns the best. Next would be either the HK American classic straights or the HK bad boy 3"ers. I see the new ones have reduced sound. My question: how reduced. I want a significant increase over stock, cuz stock is horrible. I like the HK over the Cobras since there are no heat sheilds also. Any thoughts on this rambling post to push me in one direction or the other is greatly appreciated.

·
Deeppurple52
2,072 Posts
HK 3" are the pipes from hell! No heat shield? Not the case. The head pipe is 1 1/2" and there is a massive heat shield surrounding it. The heat shield has cracked nearly in two where the pipe mounts to the bike. I welded it but I can't wait until it fails again to rid myself of these. Sound QUALITY is mediocre at best, that is until the pipe cracks at the port flange. Then the popping, back firing and generally ugly noise is a treat. I would not buy or recommend these pipes to anyone. They do look nice, but the quality issues far outweigh the asthetics.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
I have to disagree with the other guys. I have the 3" Big Straigts on my V2K and I am very pleased with them. I did do a little extra by adding a Big Air Kit and Power Commander and the power increase is incredible. I did check out the Restec straights before purchasing these. However, I was told the the reduced sound technology REALLY redueces the sound. So I decided to go with the regular straights because I wanted that "CRACK" when turning that throttle. But it really boils down to your taste.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts