Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was turning around in my driveway the other day and apparently the puddle that formed in it had something wicked slippery in it. I didn't want to get the tires in it so I was trying to manuever around it but still managed to set my foot down in it and loose traction. Next thing I know my arms and legs are locked holding the bike up at about a 35 degree angle. As hard as I tried I could not lift it back up with only one leg on the left side of the bike so I literally sat there in defiance for 5 minutes holding my bike about a foot off the ground refusing to let it touch the ground. Finally I just decided to gently lower it and the second enough weight was touching the ground I swung my leg over and picked it up. There were no scratches anywhere thankfully as the only thing that barely touched the ground was the left turn signal and a bit of the upper fairing:lol:

So then I wondered heh, does this count as "dropping" my bike? Never again I swear:rolleyes:

·
Registered
90 Posts
I consider dropping and "laying down" different things. I've laid down my bike twice. That could be why I chose a different term. I think it depends on whether it was put down under your control.

Your back is probably going to remind you of this incident tomorrow.

·
My hat is made of tinfoil
20,826 Posts
So then I wondered heh, does this count as "dropping" my bike? Never again I swear:rolleyes:
Its not bad until you really mess up and forget to put the sidestand down on your brand new bike, and of course are close enough to your pals bike that when it falls it hits his bike as well.
Only a total moron would do that. :wink:

·
We need a Sarcasm Font!
3,862 Posts
Fortunately, I got a little luckier the other day. Was in a parking lot and made a quick stop with the bars turned slightly. The bike started over to the left and I thought, "I'll be da**ed if I'm gonna drop this thing in this parking lot." By shear adrenaline, I muscled that thing back upright. I still don't know how I did it.

Yeah, in my book, you can now join the ranks of us who have dropped our bikes. Unless, of course, you don't want it to count. :) Glad it was not worse and neither you nor the bike were hurt!

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I got into that situation with mine a few days after getting my license, but mine never reached the ground. I stalled it and the momentum jerked it to the right and down she went. I got my leg down and then held on for dear life. I stopped it, pulled it back up, then looked around for witnesses. None to be found. ;) A few hours later I was watching TV, got up from my chair and noticed that my lower right leg hurt like hell. I strained it something fierce with all the pushing off that I was doing. It hurt for a couple of days, but at least my bike was OK.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Whatever you want to call it, there's plenty of folks out there that would trade their 'drop' for your 'pseudo-drop'. You could also probably relate it to the 5-second rule for dropped food. :D Seriously, glad it wasn't any worse for you.

·
Who's that guy?
88 Posts
now if youre lucky/ quick enough to catch the clutch while this kind of thing is happening, if youre in a low enough gear and have the room....use the bike, and countersteer upright. much better than fighting it up, just keep bars turned, roll, and up!

luckily I only had to do this once...just gotta keep aware of where your inside foot is!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had an incident in a parking lot , was backing the V2K up and had the bars turned to the right to get out of the parking spot I was is in , I was pushing rather hard because it was a slight uphill grade , my right foot hit some small gravel and slid far forward , since the bike was already leaning to the right , it started to go over , I fought as hard as I could , but , I lost that battle and over it went , all I could do was try to slow it down , luckily the boards actually stopped it from going all the way over. it was resting on the board and the bottom exhaust pipe. I tried to pick it up , but , when I heard the pipe scraping the ground I went back inside and got a friend of mine to help me so I wouldn't scratch it any more. All in all , there was very minimal damage , just a few scratches that buffed out.

have had one other close call but was able to muscle it back up , I think I need to do a little strength training on the ol'legs...

Dan

·
Registered
124 Posts
Fortunately, I got a little luckier the other day. Was in a parking lot and made a quick stop with the bars turned slightly. The bike started over to the left and I thought, "I'll be da**ed if I'm gonna drop this thing in this parking lot." By shear adrenaline, I muscled that thing back upright. I still don't know how I did it.

Yeah, in my book, you can now join the ranks of us who have dropped our bikes. Unless, of course, you don't want it to count. :) Glad it was not worse and neither you nor the bike were hurt!
Couldn't do that on a good day with my Cow-asaki ZX-11.

·
Gotta love the zx10
235 Posts
would it be considered dropping a bike if I left the bike on a car jack and as a result of the piece of junk not holding its fluid fully... it dropped about an inch allowing my bike to fall to the side and hit the pole on the jack along with a screw in the arm that gouged into my tank when it fell on top of it?

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
would it be considered dropping a bike if I left the bike on a car jack and as a result of the piece of junk not holding its fluid fully... it dropped about an inch allowing my bike to fall to the side and hit the pole on the jack along with a screw in the arm that gouged into my tank when it fell on top of it?
Nah, I don't count mechanical failures.. unless you knew the jack wasn't working properly...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.