Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Boy its been a while since I posted here (Felt guilty about trading my Kawa for a Yammi :| )

Since putting my name down for the bell exchange I had not heard anything from a prospective bell 'buddy' to exchange with.
Recently on our forum here in SA (thinkbike.co.za) I had the privelege of meeting Mark from Seattle who was planning to come over for a holiday. He hired a GS 800 for a day and I showed him around the Western cape. The topic of the bell came up and he offerd to exchange with me.

Now I have my very own Gremlin bell but the problem was that as its not an SA custom, so I could not find one to purchase for Mark. Next best thing, I made one and I posted it off today. Now, in a way I have one of a kind and so does he.

By the way we were so impressed with your guys BTK Donkey that we adopted a bear called Wellesley and he is travelling with our forum members. His travels are well documented.Thats me with him in Hout Bay.

Just wanted to brag a bit enjoy the pics(Please excuse the fingernails, I had just got back from work. I work as a maintenance fitter and my hands are always in grease). Safe riding to all on your side of the ocean.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,875 Posts
Hi all. Boy its been a while since I posted here (Felt guilty about trading my Kawa for a Yammi :| )

Since putting my name down for the bell exchange I had not heard anything from a prospective bell 'buddy' to exchange with.
Recently on our forum here in SA (thinkbike.co.za) I had the privelege of meeting Mark from Seattle who was planning to come over for a holiday. He hired a GS 800 for a day and I showed him around the Western cape. The topic of the bell came up and he offerd to exchange with me.

Now I have my very own Gremlin bell but the problem was that as its not an SA custom, so I could not find one to purchase for Mark. Next best thing, I made one and I posted it off today. Now, in a way I have one of a kind and so does he.

By the way we were so impressed with your guys BTK Donkey that we adopted a bear called Wellesley and he is travelling with our forum members. His travels are well documented.Thats me with him in Hout Bay.

Just wanted to brag a bit enjoy the pics(Please excuse the fingernails, I had just got back from work. I work as a maintenance fitter and my hands are always in grease). Safe riding to all on your side of the ocean.
Nice job on the bell, I'm sure the personal touch is greatly appreciated.

Wellesley looks good, but you guys followed our lead? Are you sure you you want that to be know publicly? I can think of better folks to emulate than this pack of motards :mrgreen: . Anywho, how about a link to Wellesley's travels thread? It'll be good reading during our winter.

·
IBA#34418
6,332 Posts
Aah another Yammie rider:mrgreen: Heres a link. You'll see how the story of Wellesley started within the first few posts. BTW I am also known as Charlieboy on this forum.

Think Bike

And a new thread for him here.
Think Bike
can't view because we are not logged in.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
maybe you posted the link while you were logged in???
I've just found out that although we have an open forum, the section where these threads appear are in the "biker pub" which is open only to forum members. Please feel free to register (just takes a minute)and have a chat with us too. I think you will be pleasantly surprised, we bikers have a lot in common.

Thinkbike is a non profit orginization commited to raising awarness between bikers and cagers and saving lives.

·
Super Moderator
10,875 Posts
I've just found out that although we have an open forum, the section where these threads appear are in the "biker pub" which is open only to forum members. Please feel free to register (just takes a minute)and have a chat with us too. I think you will be pleasantly surprised, we bikers have a lot in common.

Thinkbike is a non profit orginization commited to raising awarness between bikers and cagers and saving lives.
Well that blows. I'm debating whether I should sign up or not. Yes, we have a lot in common. And no, we don't have a lot in common. Know what I mean? Maybe, if like here, there's a "suggestions for improvement" section, you could suggest changing access to it? Or perhaps allow people logged on here to access it without opening an acct. there?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well that blows. I'm debating whether I should sign up or not. Yes, we have a lot in common. And no, we don't have a lot in common. Know what I mean? Maybe, if like here, there's a "suggestions for improvement" section, you could suggest changing access to it? Or perhaps allow people logged on here to access it without opening an acct. there?
It does suck, really. I will make the suggestion but by the time it has been debated and done..........or not, Wellesley might have grown old and died.:mrgreen:
If you open the account you wont be expected to take part in any discussions but just reading the forum is certainly interesting.

·
Super Moderator
10,875 Posts
It does suck, really. I will make the suggestion but by the time it has been debated and done..........or not, Wellesley might have grown old and died.:mrgreen:
If you open the account you wont be expected to take part in any discussions but just reading the forum is certainly interesting.
That's a good point. I didn't consider the possibility of being quiet :-D .

·
Machinist For Sale/Rent
1,234 Posts
Very fine craftsmanship on the bell Charlie. I would be interested in how you attached the clapper to the inside securely. Is the outer Stainless steel?

·
Bug Killer Extraordinaire
490 Posts
very nice bell! they always work better with that personal touch.
so cannon eh? I wonder how well it would work mounted on the bike?

say a pair of them. with about a 2.5 cm bore? hmmmmmmm

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Very fine craftsmanship on the bell Charlie. I would be interested in how you attached the clapper to the inside securely. Is the outer Stainless steel?
Sorry for taking so long to reply. The whole bell is stainless. The top wall of the bell is a bit thicker with an M5 thread tapped through it. I then took a bit of M5 thread bar , drilled a hole through it and attached the clapper. Then I screwed it into the bell, protuding on the other side by 8mm. I made a threaded cap to screw onto the outside and secured it with locktite. Then I drilled the keyring hole through both cap and thread bar so in the unlickely event that the locktite comes loose, the bell will stay secure. Hell, thats a mouthfull.
Mark has recieved his bell and is chuffed to say the least. Will post pics.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts