Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I got my Vulcan 900LT I’ve been trying to figure a good way to lock my full face helmet/helmets onto the bike. It comes with a helmet lock under the seat, but it's hard to use with one helmet and near impossible with two. I looked at the different choices, including a license plate frame lock, and the handlebars locks, but decided I wanted to use the current under the seat lock, so I wouldn’t have to carry additional keys. After some pondering I came up with the following.

I went to the Depot of Homes and bought 4’ of ¼” plastic covered cable, a set of ¼” cable ferrules (includes 2 ferrules), and a pack of ¾” heat shrink tubing. I also used electrical tape I already had at home. The total cost for these materials was under $5.00. Picture 1 shows the materials.

I first trimmed about 1.5” of plastic cover from each end of the cable (1” would probably be enough.) Then I folded the cable in half, with the open sections in the middle (not at one of the ends. I took the first loop, hooked it on a firm anchor (I used the handle on my vise), and twisted it about 7-8 times. Then I slid the ferrule onto the stripped end. While holding on to the twisted end, I took the loop out of the vise handle and hooked the other loop of the cable on, and twisted it like I had done with the first end. I then inserted the second stripped end onto the other side of the ferrule (this was the hard part). I then crimped the ferrule to secure the cable, and used electrical tape to cover all exposed metal. See picture 2.

Afterwards, I slipped the heat shrink tubing over one end and over the ferrule area, and shrank it using a lighter flame. The ¾” tubing was too big, it shrank fine over the ferrule area but had gaps over the cable area, so I finished it with more electrical tape. I used yellow so it will be easy to see in the saddle bag. Using smaller diameter tubing will make the additional tape unnecessary. See picture 3.

I now have a 12” length of braided ¼” cable with loops at each end. I can run the cable through one or two helmets, hook the loops under the seat, and lock it in place with the seat. Pictures 4 & 5.

Note that the black cable coming down is for my battery charger. It has nothing to do with this project.

I still only have to carry one key, and securing one or two helmets is now much easier than before. My next project is to repeat the process with a cable about 8’ long, so I can end up with a 30” length that I can use to lock my jacket and helmet if I ever need to. I'll be able to use the left over ferrule and heat shrink tubing, so the cost of the 30" cable will be about $3.00. The beauty of this system is that it takes practically no space in the saddlebags, and requires no additional locks.

Attachments

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, so how do I post the pictures? I thought I had done it.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was trying to load them from my computer. I've never loaded pictures to this site before. What I did was put together a word document with pictures, and copy/paste everything. Evidently that doesn't work!

·
Registered
789 Posts
I'm not computer savvy enough to do that I use photobucket it takes the smart out of it best part is it's free and once you upload you can resize there and then just copy and paste your photos to this or place a hot link to photobucket you'll see it done both ways and some even use thumbnail click ons.

Really would like to see photos sounds like a useful inexpensive mod.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, I figured out how to post the links. Not the actual photos, but that's better than nothing.

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
Ahhhhhh......Nice Job....Great Idea.....Can't say I would have constructed the cable in the same way but I like the idea.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Refugio, my original design was to take the cable and put a loop at each end. But after a few beers and multiple redesigns I came up with the "single braided strand with double loop" (TM) idea. I figure it's a little more secure because it doubles the thickness of the cable while hiding the connection points under the seat. The only bummer is that I didn't have smaller diameter shrink wrap, because it would have looked much more professional without the last electrical tape cover.

·
Riding daily
4,688 Posts
I would maybe consider shrink wrapping the whole thing. Braid and all (except the loop) I think it would look a lot more professional that way.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Oh sure, Kryptonite goes out and steals his idea and YOU want to reward them?

El, once you get your photos on the web, go to the photo you want to use and if it's on Photobucket or the like they'll probably give you the picture with 3 different styles of code that you can post. On Delphi you use the text with greater and lessor signs surrounding it. On this forum you use the text with right and left brackets. Seems you're storing it on this forums photo hosting location and I don't know what they use but right clicking on your link and copying the link location gives it to me, then above the message box are a group of icons for text formatting, text linking (picture of the world with a chain link) and picture inserter(picture of a mountain in square box) clicking on the box brings up a box asking for the web address. I just pasted it in there and get:

Wait for it::

·
frequently disturbs class
2,220 Posts
Refugio, my original design was to take the cable and put a loop at each end. But after a few beers and multiple redesigns I came up with the "single braided strand with double loop" (TM) idea. I figure it's a little more secure because it doubles the thickness of the cable while hiding the connection points under the seat. The only bummer is that I didn't have smaller diameter shrink wrap, because it would have looked much more professional without the last electrical tape cover.
Why is the stock lock so lame?

I like your design, but be aware that the braided cable is no match for a determined methhead with a bolt cutter. (Those are nice lids BTW)

From: the Department of Lessons I Learned at Great Expense.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Any determined thief will get your lid, bike and whatever they want. But some kid walking by that doesn't understand the value of a helmet and thinks it looks cool will be walking away with it and put it down somewhere when they're done with it, leaving you with a 300 dollar bill and a rather nasty attitude towards the rest of humanity. Lost my first helmet, out of my garage, off my sissy bar. Luckily they didn't take any one of the three gun cases I had just 10 feet closer to the inside door. No guns mind ya, but 1200 bucks of RC transmitters and 200 bucks of charging equipment. Helmet looked cooler I suspect. Probably floating in the creek somewhere by now.

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
Cool idea...

I have a engine guard on my wifes bike and I stuck one of those bolt on helmet locks to it and it works great.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Where do you store it?
My Stratoliner cane with one like that and it stores under the seat, yours looks like it may be too big to fit there~~~~~~~~~~~~`

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Where do you store it?
My Stratoliner cane with one like that and it stores under the seat, yours looks like it may be too big to fit there~~~~~~~~~~~~`
Plasma: I have the LT model, so I store it in the saddle bags. Having said that, it is small enough to store under the seat.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Why is the stock lock so lame?

I like your design, but be aware that the braided cable is no match for a determined methhead with a bolt cutter. (Those are nice lids BTW)

From: the Department of Lessons I Learned at Great Expense.
I realize that anyone walking by with bolt cutters or a hacksaw will be able to walk away with the helmets in 30 seconds or less. But I'm not worried about that. I'm more concerned about having a relatively easy way to attach the helmets to the bike without much hassle. If anyone wants to steal them bad enough to cut the cable, they can just as easily foil the lock on the seat. My thinking is that if I'm ever parking in the "wrong side of town" I'll just take all the stuff with me, or not let the bike out of my sight.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would maybe consider shrink wrapping the whole thing. Braid and all (except the loop) I think it would look a lot more professional that way.
I thought of that, but as of now I haven't found a place that sells tube shrink wrap in any sizes beyond 2-3".

1 - 20 of 22 Posts