Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife and I went to the local Honda demo days after work yesterday to check the new bikes out.
Tracy really wanted to see the new VFR1200 and signed up to ride it, so I decided to give the new CBR1000 a ride. (We only made it in time to make the last demo ride of the day, other wise we would have ridden more bikes)

Impressions of the VFR1200:
She liked it, liked it a lot actually, but still preferred the 06 VFR800 which she rides now. The position on the new VFR is more upright than hers, and while she said it handled very well, she still found her old VFR more comfortable and easier to flick around. She did comment on the linear power, (that their was obviuosly more power across the line), but the one thing she really likes about her 06 VFR800 is the abrupt "attitude change" when the VTEC kicks in......which she said is far more sudbued and not so noticeable on the newer bike. (again, though it has more power, it seems more linear across the whole range). She like the back end of the bike, but didn't care for the front end too much.
In summations, she decided that while she loves her 06 VFR800...when it comes time for an ew bike, it probably won't be the new VFR1200, she may have to look for something a little more "sporty".

Impressions on the CBR1000:
The thing feels like it's made of carbon fiber for crying out loud. It is so light, I felt like I was riding a bicycle. The riding position was actually (and surprisingly) quite comfortable. The bars are set a lot higher than I would have expected, and while the c0ckpit is cramped...it bares little resemblance to the riding position on a 600cc sportbike. The power was pretty decent, and very usable across the board. It was far from the on-off throttle experiances of the old GSXR's I used to ride.
The handling (from what I could glean) was fantastic. It was as if it it had ESP and knew where the corners where before they arrived. The coolest thing about the bike, IMO, was the slipper clutch. It's the first I've tried and I love it. (wish the ZX14 had one)
All in all, I couldn't see it as a replacement for my ZX14, but if a bundle of cash fell in my pocket I could definatly see one parked beside the 14 in the garage.

Can't really complain about getting to spend a late afternoon riding new bikes for kicks.

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
Nice writeup Carlo. Sounds like fun...wish we had demo days close by.

Motorcycle USA just had their Superbike showdown...the Honda CBR1000RR (a 3 year old design now) took second place behind the new BMW, but still posted the fastest superpole time :shock: Not sure I've heard anything bad about that bike (other than its snub nose ;) ).

·
My hat is made of tinfoil
20,826 Posts
Thanks for the reviews on them both, interesting to hear what regular riders like, over just reading mag writer reviews.

·
Last 007 MOM
9,231 Posts
Thanks Carlo ... was just thinking of taking the V2K down and trading it in on the new CBR .................... NOT ;-)

·
Last 007 MOM
9,231 Posts
Thats the point right there, Carlo, living a little (longer). The 2K has more then enough power to get me killed, the purchase of another bike, of any kind, would get me killed (by Lynn), and the riding position itself on that wouldn't help me at all. ;-)

·
Registered
20,606 Posts
sounds like your wife shares a similar opinion to me about the new VFR.

i'd much rather have one of the older sportier-tourers than this new upright tourer.
plus it's ugly :lol:

·
20,826 Posts
sounds like your wife shares a similar opinion to me about the new VFR.

i'd much rather have one of the older sportier-tourers than this new upright tourer.
plus it's ugly :lol:
Plus 1.

The older ViFfeR is a great bike, I have had a couple of them and loved ' em.
The new one seems kinda ugly, and looks HUGE compared to the older, sleeker bike.

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Plus 1.

The older ViFfeR is a great bike, I have had a couple of them and loved ' em.
The new one seems kinda ugly, and looks HUGE compared to the older, sleeker bike.
It definatly felt a little bigger to me, it looks like they are almost trying to compete against the C14 or the BMW RT. It's a great bike, don't get me wrong, but I think it's strayed a little from the pureness that it has been for so long.

·
20,826 Posts
It definatly felt a little bigger to me, it looks like they are almost trying to compete against the C14 or the BMW RT. It's a great bike, don't get me wrong, but I think it's strayed a little from the pureness that it has been for so long.
I am sure its nice to ride, and will have many happy owners.
That said, there are several bikes already in the sport-tourer market, that are fairly large, and to me what made the VFR cool ws that it was smaller, lighter, more flickable, and yet still extremely comfy, and had lots of power to.
The new one just seems like so many other bikes already out there, I wish if anything they had made it even lighter and smaller, maybe added 10 foot lbs of torque to the motor, and possibly added a power winshield so a rider could adjust its height to suit them and the days ride.

If they wanted to make it more touring friendly, they could have also added an accesorry plug or 2, and heated grips and seat as standard equipment.

Weight might have gone up 2 pounds, and it would have been great.
Bigger, just to be bigger is not always good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts