Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Honda NT700V...what do you think?

8K views 37 replies 13 participants last post by  2thdr 
#1 ·
I just came across this new to the U.S. model

2010 NT700V - Honda Powersports

What do you think? I really like it for an entry bike into touring. I was also thinking about trying to set up a Ninja 650R for touring like PSNinja's bike.

#2 ·
It is a great bike. Smaller brother to the ST1300, it does everything it's supposed to do and very well.

Slow speed handling in traffic is supposed to be great, and evidently it can eat up the miles just as easilly on the back twisty roads as on the interstate.

They're a bit cramped for extended 2 up touring (as confirmed by my few friends who have them), but for a 1-up tourer it's supposed to be perfect.

According to my friend, the only mods he felt his needed was a top-box for increased storage, a slightly taller windscreen and hand deflectors for better wind/rain protection too.

The standard panniers are very deep and pretty much go the whole width of the bike, so although they look narrow, they're actually not.

#3 ·
I've only read about it, it's gotten mostly good comments. I haven't seen one in person as I have religiously been avoiding the bike shops lately- I tend to spend way too much money in the winter when I'm not riding.

#4 ·
Dealers have them here. Nice looking bike. It is a tall bike... taller than necessary anyway. The rear is molded one piece... i.e. the bags are an integral part of the bike, much like scooter construction. It looks nice though and we like it. We haven't ridden it yet so we will reserve opinion until we get some seat time. It has been a big hit in Europe for the past decade.

#7 ·
I tried one, and bought it after a half hour ride. Red, Non-ABS, trunk, heated grips, knee pads, inner trunk bag, trunk bracket, and lower trunk pad. Total was $8957, and they threw in a three year extended warranty.

The dealer also sells Kawasaki, and knew I was not happy with the latest from them. So, got a good deal.

I am getting 58 mpg with mixed riding, not bad.

#8 ·
58 MPG? That's outstanding. Is that with regular grade fuel too? How about tire wear? Anything unusual? Sounds like maintenance cost on this one are really decent from what I've seen.

I rode an ST1300 for a few years. Nice bike. But kind of bland and bulky for what I needed and wanted at the time. This one seems like a better fit for the market. The ST1300 is really close to the Wing market - overlaps it in many ways - and frankly the C14 and the FJR are better bikes than the ST.

#9 ·
Regular pump gas from Costco! I do add PRI-G to keep it from gumming up the injection system. No idea how the tires will last. Maybe by August I will know.

I am burned out on the ultra heavy touring bikes with short leg room, as I generally only ride maybe a couple hundred miles at a whack anymore and want to be comfortable and not bound up at the half way point.

The Harley V-Rod is OK, and really well balanced once you dump the half ton exhaust system and the fake scoops, but it needs an integrated fairing. But, they still tried to appeal to their traditional buyer crowd, when they should have broken with that sort of rider and taken the bike to a sophisticated market segment of its own with a true lightweight frame, six speed, performance wheels and tires, a decent fairing, and hard bags that do not look and perform like the leakers from the 1920's all over again.

The average V-twin large enough for cruising is too heavy for comfortable short sprints around the back roads or the hop to town.

Suzuki can make a good V-twin that really performs, but not one that sells at this price, or has a no worry drive shaft, and still gets good fuel economy. I actually toyed with buying the baby V-Strom, but really do not need another dual sport. Same for Ducati, and they do not make them to fit real people either. Plus, I really do not want to be spending hours adjusting my valves!

Who knows, maybe my preferences are not representative of the regular rider?

My 22 year old daughter tells me that I am "geezering out." Maybe so..but, so are a lot of other guys like me.

#12 ·
I just came across this new to the U.S. model

2010 NT700V - Honda Powersports

What do you think? I really like it for an entry bike into touring. I was also thinking about trying to set up a Ninja 650R for touring like PSNinja's bike.
You mean like this...

not mine but a friends 650R.

Jodie didn't mind touring on her 650R, but I was along to carry most of her stuff. ;-)

The Deuville has a cool "feature", you can load longer stuff that goes from bag to bag, through the bike. Maybe not something you'd use every day, but we have bought some weird stuff while on the bikes and it would have come in handy.

depends on what bike you're coming from, haven't ridden the NT700 but I would think a 650R would be peppier. The NT700 will never be fast and there's a reason it's nicknamed the Dullville. It's a 700cc twin carrying quite a bit of weight. Which isn't always a bad thing, where the 650R might be getting blown around by the wind the heavier NT700 would probably feel planted. If you're thinking of the NT700 you could also look at either V-Strom, the 650 or the 1000, both can be loaded up with hard bags and top cases, the 650 has ABS as an option. Too bad you guys still can't get the CBF, I sold my R1200RT and bought the CBF and haven't missed the RT at all. It goes from full touring to naked in 5 minutes!

good luck and if you get a ride on one let us know what it's like. :)

#13 ·
I was never comfortable enough on my 650 as a touring bike. it was just a bit to cramped for a full sized guy and not enough protection. I did it, and had fun, but it wouldn't be my first choice. I think the Honda would make a good bike as long as you're not looking to race it. it's just more purpose-made for touring.

#14 ·
Well guys (and gals, PSNinja), I pulled the trigger and got what I've been lusting after...a sport touring kind of bike. I found a well cared for Honda VFR 800...she's a beauty with about 25k miles, 2004 model. Being delivered on Saturday! I'm stoked needless to say...

View attachment 34014

Attachments

#19 ·
Congrats. I think you'll be REALLY happy with that bike. :biggrin:
Thanks guys...I'm really excited to get on and learn how to handle her. Wish there was an inexpensive course available to teach a cruiser to graduate to a sporty bike. I guess all the same principles apply until taken to the next level with more aggressive cornering? I think she has Conti Road Attacks and I can still see the "Road Attack" embossed into the rear's tread, so they've got to be almost new.

#21 ·
#23 ·
congrats!
that's a great looking Viffer.

you'll have a lot of fun with it.
it's not much different to riding a cruiser, you'll find the power delivery is much quicker and smoother. and your wrists might hurt a little. just use your thighs to grip the tank a little more.

countersteering is alot more fun too :D

#26 ·
Thanks guys! And thanks for the tips Steve. I've read some about using my legs more to hold the tank and take the pressure off the wrists. If my old man body is too uncomfortable I can always add heli bars. At first I thought it had some, but after looking at some other photos, I think I'm just looking at the OEM bars. I can't wait for it to get here tomorrow!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.