Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi every one, i have a 86 Honda XL600R and lately its been really making me reconsider keeping it. Bikes done a shade under 10,000 miles and since recently its been giving off a popping sound and shutting down at slow speeds, it used to do it occassionally at first but now u cant take it out with out it happening. It soulds like a lean sympthom but the spark plug does not reflect an overly lean condition. When it first started tto get real annoying i discovered the air filter had its sponge disintegrad so i pulled the carbs and they looked very clean and since been running with out air cleaner element. I even changed the gas thinking it may have had some water but it did not improve. I have ordered a new uni flow filter but have not yet installed it. Does any one here now where i can get some bigger jets as the bike is fine otherwise(it will run pretty hot on steep rough trails where u have to go slow and i think this is because its lean)

·
Need Time To Ride
3,247 Posts
Check the dealer for jets - they should be cheap. The 40ppi probably flows a lot more than the stock Honda filter, but I don't know what material Honda used. I assume Honda didn't use something that flows as much as the 40ppi. Since I don't how the plugs looked with the OEM filter I can't tell you how big a jump in jets you'll probably need. 2 sizes larger should be a good place to start and check the plugs a times. If you're putting in a 60ppi filter you'll definitely need new jets.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, i will fit the new air filter element and see how it runs. Its just that in the past i have run many motorcycles with out the element and the only thing if anything that may happen is a little hesitation if you suddenly open the throttle when they are cold. They all have on sealed airboxes. There is one very important thing i omitted, this XL600 has on a super trapp exaust system but then again my 74 CB750/4 also has on a Kerker 4in1 and no air element and that has no issues. I am not for one minute saying that its not a result of the absence of an element, i have just never seen any four stroker behave so bad with out it.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Is the popping in the exhaust system? MAybe some of that rotted air filter got sucked into some carb jets.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Is the popping in the exhaust system? Maybe some of that rotted air filter got sucked into some carb jets.

·
itching to ride
2,233 Posts
I am almost certain they are CV carbs which means it will most likely not run right without a filter.

I just looked on bike bandit and it appears they are not CV carbs.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is the popping in the exhaust system? Maybe some of that rotted air filter got sucked into some carb jets.
No, its in the intake. I did remove the carbs and blew them out including the jets which were all pretty clean. I bought a uni filter on ebay so when i get it fitted i will post the results.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Intake. Great, I like a good backfire. My Norton Commando was the champion at backfiring. Blow the filters right off, or right apart. Maybe an intake valve isn't closing completely.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Intake. Great, I like a good backfire. My Norton Commando was the champion at backfiring. Blow the filters right off, or right apart. Maybe an intake valve isn't closing completely.
Strong point, i never checked the valves in recent times.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay sorry for the very long delay. I bought the factory air filter assembly and also checked the valves which were fine. I fitted the air filter and tested the bike this morning and its been fine so far. I took out the plug when i was checking the valves and sure enough it was on the lean side so i guess the next thing i would do is to try a jet kit but since it appears fine i will leave well enough alone for now. Thanks to all who responded.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've got the same bike, never use a filter, and drive it almost everyday. Problems with this bike are almost always electrical. That motor runs hot, burns oil, as you know, and the wiring above the engine is usually the problem. Could be something as simple as the air hose from the gas cap being pinched. I've seen that happen. I love that model and it's great fun. I'd say it's something heating up in the electrical system and shutting down. Happened to me. Had the connections checked and put in another module and was up and running.

·
My hat is made of tinfoil
20,826 Posts
Why on earth would anyone ride a bike without an airfilter.
Just pour sand into the motor, has the same effect.

That poor bike.
Honda makes great bikes, but not even a Honda can tolerate that kind of abuse.

Heck you may as well drain the oil and ride it with no oil for a while to.

Stories like this make me want to cry.

·
Registered
276 Posts
It is amazing how much dirt an engine will ingest before truly worn out. Most of the inhaled dirt gets blow right out again, just like the air that suspended the dirt. I live in a damp climate and it is almost never dusty. But if you were in a dry climate, filters would be a great asset. But in the end, every engine I have has a decent filter on it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Look, I live in Mission Viejo, Ca, drive the thing to the store and back and don't have a filter. The box is already basically enclosed and I've put 3 grand on it without a filter. I bet most of you don't even know about the brass basket on the front frame tube. That's a great bike. You take it where it needs a filter, go for it!

·
My hat is made of tinfoil
20,826 Posts
Look, I live in Mission Viejo, Ca, drive the thing to the store and back and don't have a filter. The box is already basically enclosed and I've put 3 grand on it without a filter. I bet most of you don't even know about the brass basket on the front frame tube. That's a great bike. You take it where it needs a filter, go for it!
:rolleyes:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts