Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1991 ninja 600 with all the emissions crap on it, the carbs were not hooked up when i bought it and i have no idea how to hook em up, can someone tell me how? I also took the airbox off and put seperate filters on each carb, do i just plug the hole on top of the crankcase that connected to the airbox? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
DO NOT I repeat DO NOT plug the hole on the top of the crankcase. That is the crankcase vent to atomosphere and plugging that would be bad.

Hooking up the carbs shouldn't be too hard. Just slip them into place make sure the throttle cables are on the right spots and tighten them down. I'd get a service manual just to be sure though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,245 Posts
I gotta disagree with the previous post about the emissions stuff.

If you have removed the stock airbox, DO plug up the holes for the emissions, those would normally go back into the airbox.

Now as for how to hook up your carbs on the 600 somebody else will have to help you out there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,384 Posts
ninjazx6r said:
i have a 1991 ninja 600 with all the emissions crap on it, the carbs were not hooked up when i bought it and i have no idea how to hook em up, can someone tell me how? I also took the airbox off and put seperate filters on each carb, do i just plug the hole on top of the crankcase that connected to the airbox? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated
Let me just try and confuse you more....

The vacuum hoses that connected into your airbox are currently going nowhere because of the removal of the airbox. Do not plug it up - keep it breathing by either placing a PCV valve on it with the restriction coming from the opposite end of flow so it flows out. If you can find a small air filter that will suffice as well.

With the oil breather - Do not block that one as well as you will place undue pressure back in the oil breather and I can almost assure you the result will be a blown gasket and lots of oily mess spilling everyone and poetentially causing you to crash.

What I did was to get some heater line hose about 1/2" in diameter from Kragen or your local auto store and cut it to size. Stick one end into the silencer for the vacuum tube and the other gets either the pcv valve or better yet an air filter on the end.

Post some pics of your carb and we can get your carb back together no issues. Take a look at www.kawasaki.com to get a visual of your carb set up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Freakinout said:
I gotta disagree with the previous post about the emissions stuff.

If you have removed the stock airbox, DO plug up the holes for the emissions, those would normally go back into the airbox.

Now as for how to hook up your carbs on the 600 somebody else will have to help you out there.
In my experiance the hole in the top of the case is the crankcase vent to atmosphere. Since the crankcase is completly sealed, it needs somewhere to vent to so pressure does not build up. Now if it would vent out to the airbox why would he want to plug the hole, IMO that would just create unnecessary pressure in the crankcase and possibly blow a seal.

I mean no offense but I don't follow your logic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,245 Posts
siasmaster said:
Freakinout said:
I gotta disagree with the previous post about the emissions stuff.

If you have removed the stock airbox, DO plug up the holes for the emissions, those would normally go back into the airbox.

Now as for how to hook up your carbs on the 600 somebody else will have to help you out there.
In my experiance the hole in the top of the case is the crankcase vent to atmosphere. Since the crankcase is completly sealed, it needs somewhere to vent to so pressure does not build up. Now if it would vent out to the airbox why would he want to plug the hole, IMO that would just create unnecessary pressure in the crankcase and possibly blow a seal.

I mean no offense but I don't follow your logic.
On the 500R's you have to block the holes on top of the crankcase because they normally pull in fresh air into the exhaust, which usually ends up causing horrible 'popping' when engine breaking.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
Freakinout said:
On the 500R's you have to block the holes on top of the crankcase because they normally pull in fresh air into the exhaust, which usually ends up causing horrible 'popping' when engine breaking.
We aren't talking about the same thing here. The holes ninjazx6r described are for crankcase vent purpose only. All those oil fumes when engine warms up and moving mechanical parts generate pressure inside the crankcase housing. The vent holes are one type of "pressure valves" that lead oil fumes into the airbox and will be mixed with fuel/air - mixture.

If these holes are plugged, the pressure will blow the weakest gasket or leak oil out of the engine...from one way or another.

There are valves that guide fresh air into the exhaust manifold, but these are often controlled with some type of valves. Vulcan owners know what I'm talking about... There can't possibly be single holes that are always open for letting air into the exhaust system... Think of the noice that would occur..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,245 Posts
Strictly VN 1600 said:
We aren't talking about the same thing here. The holes ninjazx6r described are for crankcase vent purpose only. All those oil fumes when engine warms up and moving mechanical parts generate pressure inside the crankcase housing. The vent holes are one type of "pressure valves" that lead oil fumes into the airbox and will be mixed with fuel/air - mixture.

If these holes are plugged, the pressure will blow the weakest gasket or leak oil out of the engine...from one way or another.

There are valves that guide fresh air into the exhaust manifold, but these are often controlled with some type of valves. Vulcan owners know what I'm talking about... There can't possibly be single holes that are always open for letting air into the exhaust system... Think of the noice that would occur..
Well I stand corrected. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,384 Posts
ninjazx6r said:
how do i hook up the actual carbs? there in place but i need to know how to hook up the fuel lines
The fuel line connection (nipple) is on the side closer to the back end of the bike and in the middle of your carbs. Between carbs 2/3.

Carb 1 2 x 3 4

The fuel line then would get connected to your petcock.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i still dont know how to hook the carbs up, i have a manual but it dosent help, all i figured out from it is that one line goes from the evaporator to a carb which really dosent help me, can anybody tell me how to hook up the carbs?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
Believe me, it's not so easy to inform another just by words and explaining "this goes there" and "that goes here". Look for part diagrams on the net. They might help a bit and if you have problems with single hoses, then come back and ask. I believe there are some people who drive these machines also.

Also, if you lack of any mechanical skills, take it to the dealer or maybe buy the factory manual where the routing of every hose and wire is indicated. Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,384 Posts
Post up some pics and we can diagram it, but talking to you on the net is difficult to describe what you see and which one you are trying to hook up. If you lay out some pics we see what you see and can guide you better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
theres nipples on each carb right above where they go into the engine, i know where the first one goes, i think, where do the other 3 go? I would post some pics for yall but have nothin to do it with
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,384 Posts
1st one should lead to a vent tube along with #4. Number 2 goes to your petcock and #3 should be capped.

Alignment sitting on your bike facing forward.

1 2 3 4

Left to right
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top