Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Ed Scott - Old-Time Biker
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I've been here 4 days or so now and still haven't taken any pictures. Started looking for bike rentals yesterday and the choices seem to be larger sports bikes, over-painted shadows or mopeds. I'm thinking i'll go with the moped to try and blend in with the zillions on the road. you can easily get a moped taxi if you don't mind riding btch... i've already overcome that phobia and enjoyed several harrowing but fast trips for cheap... costs about 50 cents.

we went to muay thai boxing last night (oldest son and i)... fun but predetermined outcomes. things are great... in pattaya at the moment but back to bangkok tomorrow. perfect weather. can't find pipe cleaners for all my disgustingly dirty pipes...

·
Doc, I need a road trip!
1,398 Posts
OK so I've been here 4 days or so now and still haven't taken any pictures. Started looking for bike rentals yesterday and the choices seem to be larger sports bikes, over-painted shadows or mopeds. I'm thinking i'll go with the moped to try and blend in with the zillions on the road. you can easily get a moped taxi if you don't mind riding btch... i've already overcome that phobia and enjoyed several harrowing but fast trips for cheap... costs about 50 cents.

we went to muay thai boxing last night (oldest son and i)... fun but predetermined outcomes. things are great... in pattaya at the moment but back to bangkok tomorrow. perfect weather. can't find pipe cleaners for all my disgustingly dirty pipes...
Can't wait to see the pictures Hoop!!

·
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sounds like fun!

have ya met any nice young ladyboys yet?
HA! they're literally everywhere... still haven't figured out the logic of that stunt. Lots and lots of gorgeous real women though... an amazing phenomenon. Wish I didn't have to fly 26 hours each way, I'd be here often.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I was stationed in Sattahip, Thailand, about 20 klicks south of Pattaya, in 1969-71. Spent two years there. Knew Pattaya and Bangkok well. A buddy and I used to rent Honda 350s in Pattaya and ride all over. Beautiful place with beautiful people, even more so when you're single and 21 years old. My first novel, "The Bangkok Blues" takes place there. That same bud and I rode around Lake Superior, two-up on his new Triumph Bonneville in 1971. I'm still in contact with that old army buddy.

·
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm back in Texas now, jet-lag almost gone, but still difficult to wake up at the right time. More difficult is the realization that I really am old, because the women there treat old guys like they are attractive and desirable too. It's a fantasy they specialize in and getting you to fall in love with them is the ultimate compliment, but still meaningless as far as wanting to drop their high-income lifestyle to become your pillion petunia. I spent far too much time exploring the night-life scene there and not enough talking to the guys who have dumped their western roots to become full-time residents.

As far as bikes are concerned... and traffic in general... what a wild, scaled down phenomenon. 99% of the bikes on the road are 125's... some 200's and occasional 250 sportsbikes. All of the guys I saw on the cruiser-type bikes were farangs (westerners) and the bikes were small shadows. I did find a place in Pattaya that rented big cruisers including Harleys, but I was already riding my rented Yamaha scootery moped thing. My rental had an automatic transmission and you had to goose it to start it rolling, but once on the road it would cut through traffic with surprising acceleration. Of course you have to remember that traffic there runs in a very condensed format, with bikes passing cars on the left, right, white lines, sidewalks, etc. They even zig-zag in front and behind cars if their lane isn't clear... meaning people are standing on the street or a car is too close to the street vendor to get by. If I go again I'll make sure to get a movie from one of the pedestrian bridges going over Sukhumvit. Meanwhile, here's a photo of bikes that can be found on every block of every downtown street. There are individually owned bikes, taxi bikes (yes there are thousands of guys on 125's zipping their clients through traffic for 40 baht) and there's even a police 200.

I'll get back and post a pic of temples and palaces and maybe even one of my little "companion" that I chose because she was less attractive and therefore more likely to spend more time with me. Not only did she show me all of Bangkok, she rocked my world to the point that I'm still a little confused about what's real and what's not.

·
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
forgot to talk about the "ladyboy" phenomenon. This was one of the main things that I was worried about before going... the whole idea of homosexual interaction is just weird to me because I can't imagine anyone having such desires, but my view is, if they have them, fine... no biggie to me, plus that makes the girl / boy ratio a little better.

But yes, I saw LOTS of ladyboys. They're all over Nana plaza and along many of the streets mixed into the street girls (yeah those are the cheaper girls, but more likely packing a surprise of one sort or another). I learned quickly to totally ignore anything anyone says to you on the streets... there are beggers, con men, street vendors and ladyboys... all of which if you speak to them they turn into aggressive mode. If you shake hands with anyone they have a grip and won't let go unless you yank it away. The ladyboys "may" have said something to me, but there's a constant murmur as you walk down the street anyway, so I didn't notice. What I did notice was a lot of guys walking and holding hands with ladyboys. I always wondered if they just didn't know or if that was what they were secretly after... something a little harder to get in other countries. I read one article online about a guy marrying a ladyboy. From what I could tell, they are taller and I'm told most have masculine voices even though they have boob jobs and makeup and stripper heels on...

But the one thing I was interested in was when I was told men have longer ring fingers than women. Women's ring fingers tend to be about the same length as their index finger... so anytime I was seriously considering becoming a 'customer', I asked if we could compare hand sizes and looked at the finger ratio... never saw a ladyboy when in that situation... thank goodness. Don't know what I'd do if I accidentally acquired one.

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Glad you had fun and explored the night life.
Years ago one of my friends worked for a Geology company that did a lot of work in Saudi Arabia, where there is no night life for westerners.
So his company would fly them out of Saudi every month or so for some R&R.
He went to many places, but Thailand was his favorite. He told me about the ladyboys, but he got to seeing the same female companion every time he went back.

It sounded like fun, Greg58

·
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Biggest collection of 9's and 10's I ever saw, and they look at you when you walk in and smile like they've been waiting for you all evening.

I'm adding about 200 pictures to my facebook pages, so to save load time here, please have a look there... and if you can't see them please let me know... I think I have my security set so anyone can see them.

·
Loud Pipes Keep Me Awake
1,648 Posts
Did you get to meet anybody offering to take your picture with a monkey on your shoulder? I'm told the guy walks up to you and his little monkey jumps on your shoulder. He'll ask if you want to buy a picture of you and the monkey, and if you say no he says something in Thai which equates to "pee on him/her and then come back to me". :eek:

·
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No... never saw a monkey or an elephant... that would really be dramatic if he used an elephant. I did have a guy show me his python or boa or something... but didn't offer to take my picture or sell me anything.... maybe he thought I'd be afraid of the snake but I happen to like snakes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.