Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you used the horn on your bike much? Is it required by the Department of Transportation, when you received your tags and registration was it part of the requirement to ensure that it worked? They are required, but are they loud enough to command attention on the open road, Interstate, or in the city? I understand that Manufactures must provide at least the minimum requirement for The DOT, but are those "Minimums" sufficient for you? I have the cart in front of the horse on this topic because I neglected to research with Beartooth Kawasaki before starting this topic. I AM not happy, and do not believe that the Factory horns are sufficient for ALARMING other vehicles (cars, trucks, and other bikers), but I do know that there are aftermarket horns 12Vdc, like Fiamm with their Dual Horns that provide 132-135db level horns. That is REALLY loud, but IF you have to and are in a situation where you need a horn, don't you want to be heard? Is the cost of a pair of horns so expensive that you can/want to overlook the cost? IF you need to use the horn, you need to be heard! This is my Soapbox subject for this week...I hope that you think about it, even share this with your non-forum friends....you know...the same could be said about most cars and trucks...

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I don't use my horn often, but when I do I want it to be heard. The stock horn doesn't fit the bill. It's on my Winter to-do list to upgrade it. Thanks for the manufacturer suggestions; I'll check these out soon.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Horn

I'm not pushing Fiamm...there are other horns out ther that provide plenty of db's, but this is the season, before Thanksgiving and esp. Christmas (when Everybody is out and not paying attention) not only to put them on your wants/needs list, but perhaps install them early, to save you and your bike from Harms Way.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I found this on another forum! :D This horn looks pretty good!

>>Freeway Blaster Horn
It is a 12 volt horn made by Signal tone. Available at Pepboys and most other autoparts stores. It is 132dBs. That's 25dBs over stock. It uses the existing '2003 ZX6RR's horn bracket and wiring connectors. Absolutely no modification is required. Make sure to get the low note version. Model # F. <<

I believe this is the one they mentioned on that forum:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ProductDisplay/c-10101/s-10101/p-163717/mediaCode-ZX/appId-384878

They had a picture on that site but I don't know how to paste it into my reponse! :?

·
Registered
128 Posts
maybe i just have sensitive ears, but my stock horn is incredibly loud. it hurts my ears when i use it, and it can be heard from over a mile away.

as far as replacement horns go, i don't really see a reason to upgrade, unless i want to get one that plays the guitar riff of inna gada da vida or something....

as far as using it... only to honk at friends on the sidewalk, or the idiot on the cellphone sitting at the green light.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SEEN and HEARD

Both seen and heard! Perhaps turnsignal airhorns...next?

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WOW!

Those horns are like awesome 148-152db! UNREAL!

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MOUNTED HORNS

Yeah, they'd have to be mounted forward of the fairing, and I'd need a better helmet!~ Wow, ca you imagine the people on their cell phones setting there chatting at a green light...What a BLAST...that would be!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
rednek426 said:
maybe i just have sensitive ears, but my stock horn is incredibly loud. it hurts my ears when i use it, and it can be heard from over a mile away.
Are you sure your horn is stock? My horn sounds like a bicycle horn, and I'm not sure they can hear it two lanes over let alone a mile away. It's actually a bit embarassing to be on a big cruiser with a horn that sounds like a child's toy :oops:

As for other replacement ideas, Gadget comes through again: http://www.gadgetjq.com/hornreplacement.htm

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

i use 12volt marine horns from marinco/afi - lots of styles,shapes
you can get stainless steel also - 115-130db range 8)

·
Registered
629 Posts
Horns

Part of my winter project on both bikes to replace the horns. I've found that most of the stock horns are useless. My horn on my Ninja sounds like it should be on my daughters' bicycles.

I did find a set of air horns at Canadian Tire. Don't know if they will work but the would fit nicly under a fairing. If I can find it in a catalogue, i'll supply a link etc.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Ken said:
rednek426 said:
Are you sure your horn is stock? My horn sounds like a bicycle horn, and I'm not sure they can hear it two lanes over let alone a mile away. It's actually a bit embarassing to be on a big cruiser with a horn that sounds like a child's toy :oops:

As for other replacement ideas, Gadget comes through again: http://www.gadgetjq.com/hornreplacement.htm
mine is the stock horn that came with the bikewhen i bought it brand new.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Looks like, for whatever reason, they decided to give the Ninja a better horn than the Vulcan :)

I'll remedy that real soon! 8)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts