Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Ninja 500 died on me the other day. It's my first bike, so I didn't really know how to proceed. I just knew I didn't want to take it into the shop. The first thing I tried was new gas. This didn't work. Then I put about 2 ounces of gasline anti-freeze in. This didn't work. Then, I changed the plugs. This worked! Yeah! Started right away. The guy down at the shop told me it probably wasn't the plugs. But I read here that using too much choke can screw the plugs up. I think this is what I was doing.

Anyhoo, just thought I'd share my little success story.

PS. When I took the plugs out I noticed that there was a gap missing about 1cm wide around the edge where you screw the plugs in. It was the same for both plugs. Is this normal?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Pieces missing from sparkplugs is not ok. Can you post any pic's?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
****. That's what I figured. I shoulda taken pics when I had it all apart. I'll do that next time. Thanks for the reply. ;)

·
Registered
607 Posts
Propagandhi said:
****. That's what I figured. I shoulda taken pics when I had it all apart. I'll do that next time. Thanks for the reply. ;)
But continuing to ride your bike with pieces missing from the spark-plugs may cause further damage, Gandhi. If you're not willing to remove them again for a photo, what brand were they at least? I can Google an image up easily enough to make sure this is something normal.
Meh, it's your bike. Good luck.
-CCinC

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Calamarichris,

I don't think I explained my self properly. There's nothing wrong with the plugs (brand new NGKD8's). What was missing was a small chunk of steel at the base of where you screw the plugs in (both sides). It's running (and sounding) great since I fixed it, so I don't really want to take it apart again.

But I think I now know why the plugs failed. They were D9's, which are designed for warmer weather. Although it doesn't get freezing here in Victoria very often, it can get down as low as 20 degrees in the winter. The specs say D8's, too.

Anyway, thank you for you interest and reply. The next time I have it apart I'll take some pics and post 'em. :)

PS. Do you know of a good scratch remover? My front farring's pretty banged up. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
I've found that my 500R likes new plugs about every 7K miles. If I push it any farther than that I end up stranded on the side of the road, trying to sand down spark plugs....

·
Registered
607 Posts
You needed new plugs every 7,000 miles?! Have you made any jetting changes to your 500, Freakin?
Unless you're using some junky plugs, they should last a minimum of 20,000 miles. When she traded in her EX500, the original plugs were still in the bike, and I recently changed the plugs on her new ZX6R at 40,000 miles and they still looked normal and the bike was running fine.
Jetting changes? How long do you let the bike idle in the morning when you start her up?
-CCinC

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
I've rejetted big time. The manual says 7K miles. NGK recommends 7K miles, and my bikes likes new ones that often. I spend the 6 bucks and go with it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts