Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So on my way home, in the last half mile or so, as I'm slowing to a stop I hear this odd scraping noise coming from the front of the bike. When I stopped I smelled something hot...you know, like you just know something got too hot. Temperature gauge is fine, so I continue on, no more smell and the scraping stops. I've never heard this noise before and it didn't do it anymore for the rest of my ride home, even when I used the front brake. It's a 2005 Ninja 250r..do you guys have any idea what might of happened? Oil level is fine too, FYI. Checked that after I got home.

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
Might have been a hung up brake puck/caliper causing the heat and noise.
If you can, get the front wheel off the ground and spin the wheel looking for problems.

I doubt the wheel bearings are acting up, more like the brake system needs a look at.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm leaning more towards brakes too. I glanced at the wheel and caliper area when I got home, but I plan on getting it off the ground in the morning to give her a spin. Could it be a serious problem you think?

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
Depends on how long the dragging caliper/puck caused the brake disc to get hot. At worst the disc might be warped or scored. I'd suggest replacing the fluid, and look inside the master cylinder for two small holes at the bottom of the master cylinder. If they are clogged, the brake piston may not release brake pressure.

Wooden toothpicks work well to open up clogs like this without damaging the hole sizes.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Took a good look at the wheel this morning with my dad. He's pretty mechanically inclined and he said the only noise he heard was normal pad scraping. Rode it to school and didn't hear the same noise or notice any smell. Oh well!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.