Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have recently got my 1984 zx750 Kawasaki, (bobber) on the road, it needs a fair bit of cosmetic work and some mechanical tweeking but one thing I am struggling with is the sound..

It has a 4 in 1 exhaust, probably standard, but sounds very quiet for a chop style bike. I know a lot of people are against loud bikes but I bloody love hearing em come! I have been doing a bot of research and a few people have talked about how they drilled holes in their exhaust, I have no idea what they mean by this and would really appreciate some help into learning how I can give it that meaner oldskool sound.

I have included a pic below in case anyone can give me some tips?

Thanks everyone, appreciate any help!

Attachments

·
Knows more than he needs
190 Posts
inside the pipe, there are usually metal baffle plates that are almost solid but have 3 or 4 holes drilled in them on the corners. sometimes people can drill more holes in it and that wont necessarily make it loouder but it might have more of a growl than stock. i had a chinese pit bike that i did that to and it opened her up and made her a deal louder and sounded almost like a big bike. get a flashligh and look directl down the end of the pipe and tell us what you see.

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
I can see that the chrome cone section is a seperate piece thats most likely spot welded to the outer can. You might be able to locate the spot welds and drill them out so the inner cone section can be pulled out of the can. If you open up the exhaust, you "may" need to rejet the carbs because increased exhaust flow causes a leaner condition that may lead to higher running temps and even a hole in a piston.:eek: Another idea (cant see from the pic)is to remove the whole can and replace it with a slip-on Megaphone.

·
Registered
251 Posts
A few months back I was trying to get a "Harley" sound out of my KZ750-4. Can't be done, but it's more related to the piston degree angle and the oddball firing order of the Harley V-twins then it is the exhaust. I'm sure you'll get a different (if not better) sound by following zoro's idea, but you won't get the classic big v-twin sound. I drilled out the back of my mufflers, didn't like the sound, and had them welded back up for free by a friend. But...you may like that sound!

And I agree that anything you do to open up the exhaust will probably require rejetting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts