Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there...very new to the whole forum thing but have found myself very stuck.
I recently purchased a kx125. I know normaly a vehicle would have a 17 digit VIN but mine has a 12 digit VIN. I have tryed looking everywere to try and decode it but have not had any luck!
Would much appreciate any help if anyone could shed any light? :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sure, it's older than a 1981.
Realy??
When i purchased it i was told that it was a 1998. I have already bought a few parts for it going by this year and they all seem to fit fine and match what i am replacing. When looking on the web everywere alot of people say that these are a japanese VIN and not nessaserily a case of the bike having the old styled VIN. I cant really seem to find a japanese VIN de-coder and the VIN de-coders that i have typed my VIN into say that it is an invalid VIN. Going by other pictures of 1998 kx 125's 1998 does seem to be around the right year. It would just be great to find out if this is a genuin VIN and find out the actual year.
Thanks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sorry I can't help, just thought I'd say I'm having the same problem and that these VINs are common in Europe even after '81 when the 17 digit standard came in for the US.

I believe (but don't know for sure) mine's a 1993 model KLE 500 from Germany. The first 6 digits of the VIN are the model identifier ("LE500A" in my case) followed by 6 seemingly random digits, but I hope they are clues to the bikes origin.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry I can't help, just thought I'd say I'm having the same problem and that these VINs are common in Europe even after '81 when the 17 digit standard came in for the US.

I believe (but don't know for sure) mine's a 1993 model KLE 500 from Germany. The first 6 digits of the VIN are the model identifier ("LE500A" in my case) followed by 6 seemingly random digits, but I hope they are clues to the bikes origin.
No worries at least its not just mine then :| As i say i just cant seem to find any sort of de-coder and its turning out to be a right pain.
I know how everyone always says there no good for road use but ive bought mine with the idea of registering it on the road. Just hopeing that i will be able to register it with this VIN :confused: yea mine just has 'MADE IN JAPAN' on one side of the stearing head and my VIN starts KX125K on the other side. Then as you say followed by 6 random digits??
Thanks for your in-put though :-D

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
You might want to try posting your question over in the Mechanics corner section or the Vintage section. We have a few members that might be able to shed more light on your vin. You will need to post the complete vin number in order for them to help though.

·
TRIPLE NUT
240 Posts
the new 17 digit vin requirement wont accept the older 12 digit vins easily..
as ive had a state cop buddy run the vins on a couple parts bikes..
he did manage to do it somehow but had to contact one of the experts
in the autotheft squad..
guess the new software wont take the "short " vin as a complete vin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts