Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found mine on the internet. I have a shop located 20 miles from home. I went and talked to the owner, he had an agenda for what I should buy. I knew what I wanted but he was pushing other bikes, that he had in stock, and I left frustrated, twice. Another dealer is located 40 miles from home in the town where I work. I stopped in several times and couldn't even get anyone to notice me and come talk to me. The last time I went to the counter to ask some questions and heard what they were telling the guy ahead of me and left shaking my head. I searched Cycle Trader to find a dealer who had both Kawasaki and Honda since I wanted to do a side by side comparison. I found a dealer about 75 miles from home who had both. I called and asked if they had the bikes I was interested in. They did and said to come down and they would set them side by side for a comparison. I was greeted as soon as I entered the shop and told to take my time looking around and just let them know if they could help. It just felt right. When I asked for a price on the 1500 Classic I was pleasantly surprised to get a great price right up front. No B.S. or pressure and I returned a week later and bought the bike. Even if the other two closer to home would have matched the price I would have bought where I did because I felt comfortable there. Is being comfortable with your dealer important to you or do you shop based soley on price? :?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Lack of choices was how I picked mine...and as a side note, if you are ever in Chattanooga, you will get some of the worst customer service from the Kawasaki dealer that sells KAW's and boats/watercraft...I would actually suggest pushing my bike to the nearest KINKO's and getting online with this site before going to my local dealer in Chattanooga...does it show that I don't approve of their customer service...maybe I put too much emphasis on good customer service...oh well

·
Registered
309 Posts
I live in Lancaster PA. There are several dealers very close to me. I allways go to a couple and ask what the best they can do? When I was looking for my Mean Streak, I visited one of the dealers who sells both Kawasaki and Suzuki. They tried to push me on the Suzuki. I new what I wanted and they were overstocked so they pushed the Suzuki. I ended up buying my MS from a dealer that I had bought two other bikes from before.
I have also traveled two hours away to save $800 on a bike. I service my own bikes and it is hard to beat any deals for parts and accs on the internet these days. Out the door price makes up my decision when buying a bike.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
I called every dealer within 50+ miles from here and went with the one who offered me the best price.

·
Registered
488 Posts
My local dealer shafted by brother by overspraying his Valousia with exterior paint and then lying to him when he came to pick it up. They told him they wanted to give him a complimentary detailing because he was a good customer. The girl at the service counter did not know he saw the notes on her paperwork that stated they covered the bike with paint. Then they did not want to spend any more than they had to to make it right and did a really bad job of trying to remove the paint. The used a solvent to try and clean the plastic parts and dulled them all out. Then they tried to buy the bike from him for 1500 dollars less than he paid for it 4 months earlier.

A week earlier I went in told them I wanted a new Nomad. They told me 12,550. After the deal with my brother I emailed every Kawi dealer in Oregon and Washington. A dealer in Seattle said they would sell the same bike for 11,900 so I bought it.

I have no problem with a dealer making a profit but I do have a problem with one that has no intrity.

Anyway, The email thing worked.
DJ

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I live in the Detroit area. I bought my bike new from a dealer in Toledo Ohio which saved me close to $1000. I knew the bike, therefore, it's all about the price.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I found my bike at a dealer about 300 miles away - my local dealer could not meet the price. But, since then, the local dealer has sold me accessories and provided service (tire changes) for my bike. I do all the other service and add-ons myself (get better quality that way :grin: )

I commend the local dealer, Alcoa Good Times, Maryville, TN., for their attitude. I will probably buy my next bike from them (unless I get a much better deal elsewhere :wink: )

·
Registered
229 Posts
I would always pay a little more for a bike that also sold themselves. Nothing beats "a friend" that owns a bike shop ! However, that philosophy is getting harder and harder to find anymore. We happen to have a great (honest) dealer in Carlisle,PA, and count our lucky stars constantly !

·
Registered
242 Posts
The sales consultant, Steve Fiero at my local dealer, Twigg Cycles, gave me a great deal on my Vulcan VN750. That was the bike I wanted, being away from riding for 35 years I didn't want to get a bigger bike than I could handle, and he answered all my questions without reservations. The owner Mike Twigg authorized the installation of a Yuasa Maintnance Free Battery at no cost even though I was willing to pay for the difference. Sometimes it's the little things that counts. They sell Kawasaki, Yamaha, Suzuki and Honda. I was not pressured to buy one brand over another. I was made to feel important and like I mattered. Twigg Cycles started as a back yard Schwynn Bicycle dealer and is now multi-franchise multi-million dollar operation. There, the customer does count. No,,, I'm not getting compensated for my endorsement, I tell it like it is.
Mike Hebert

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
I found my bike on cycletrader.com. I called a few dealers and talked with them and just didn't seem to impressed with them. I found the 2003 that I bought online....called the dealer Steel Dreams (sells Big Dog Choppers) in Arlington, WA and got straight talk with no BS. I drove 8 hours to get there and bought it the next day. Am very happy with my purchase. The closest Kawi dealer to me "40 miles away" did not have any bikes I was interested in and I would have preferd buying from them. I do buy supplies from them and will have them do some maintenance when the time comes.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
I was just tellin' Spok the other day that I walked into a local dealership and asked a couple questions about the Honda Shadow. The salesman looked at me and said well the best advice that I can offer ya is to bring "HIM" in and let him decide. I said "Who ever mentioned a Him?!" He fumbled a bit, looked around, then said something like "Oh! I'm sorry, I thought you'd mentioned bringing a "him" in." Then he proceded to brown-nose as much as possible. I asked for a brochure and walked out.
I'm sold on the Vulcan 800 now anyway so he's toast......

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
There are two Kawasaki dealers in my area, plenty more further out. The first one I went into mainly sells Victories and Kawasaki dirt bikes, but have some vulcans and ninja's on the floor. I was interested in the vulcans, of course, but the salesman acted like i was poor white trash for even thinking of a vulcan over the overpriced victores, needless to say I didn't buy from there.

The other dealer sells Yamaha's primarily, Suzuki's Ducatti's (sp?) and the Kawasaki's. When I walked their floor, I was asked by each salesman if I needed help. When I finally took one up on his offer of assisntance I was steered toward each brand only as a comparrison against the Vulcan to make sure I was happy and comfortalble in my decision. There was never any pressure to push me in any direction and the post sales customer service continues to this day with birthday cards, christmas cards, discount coupons in the mail, they remember me when I walk in, my salesman calls me by name....all in all, I find this to be the mark of a good dealership...and they gave me a great deal on my fresh out of the box bike.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
I traded a new kitchen (atleast part of it for the bike) to the dealer when he built his new house. I did the same thing for a couple of snowmobiles of the yrs. Had to work a few night's an weekends to get it done in a month but it was well worth it. The wife hate's it when I do that ,but oh well it's done now. The dealer talking about remodeling the show room . I wonder what I need now?<LOL>

·
Registered
524 Posts
I also researched on the net there where many close around me,one just a few miles up the road from me and they had just about all brands there.They had lots to look at and were somewhat helpful but pushy.Everything seamed overpriced I even put a bid on one of there overpriced used bikes (2002 Vulcan 800A) with cobra drag pipes & a corbin seat.I had seen the bike there online months before,they tried to tell me it was a fresh trade in & would not buge on the price.I told them they were full of it made them a offer -they said no -i said fine for that price i will buy new.2 days later i found a small family owned kaw. shop that was more than happy to treat me right.So for me finding a good dealer I could trust ment a lot to me.I have refered other friends there & even bought the wife a new bike there at a great price.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
spok....would you mind sharing the name of the dealer that your happy with?

Thanks!

·
Registered
875 Posts
I tried several local shops and didn't care for the BS. I shopped cycletrader online and responded to ad from a dealer in Daytona Beach. He said that the 1500 classic he was advertising had low mileage and was in great shape. When I got there it did have low mileage but every nut and bolt was rusted and anything chrome was affected by being left outside near the beach. So to say the least, the best deal I got was from an individual and not a shop. I do my own maintenance and a small local bike repair shop for larger jobs.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I shopped a local dealer that has 200+ bikes on their showroom. They are primarily a Honda dealer, but also sell Kawasaki and Yamaha. With all these bikes, they didn't have an 800A in stock. Not one dealer in the Baton Rouge,La area had an 800A in stock. Had to go to a dealer about 40 miles outside of town, received very poor service and left with a bad taste in my mouth. They did however sell me the bike at the price I wanted (after some severe arm twisting). Dealer never called me after purchase and did not get my license plate and registration until after my temp tag expired. So all in all, because of inventory at other dealers, I didn't choose my dealership........it unfortunately chose me. :mad:

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
whistle clean said:
spok....would you mind sharing the name of the dealer that your happy with?

Thanks!
No Problem, Skagit Powersports....

·
Registered
151 Posts
Greenwood Kawasaki/Honda, best little dealer in the Indianapolis area.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts