Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know west eagle or blue color kits are the obvious answers, but I would love to see pictures / hear about how you mounted your seat on your vn800

·
Registered
122 Posts
I bent a piece of flat bar to mount the front of the seat to the rear tank bolt. Then I made two tabs out of the same stuff for the rear seat studs. I had to drill two holes in the stock seat brace in line with the rear studs to mount the tabs. I drilled and tapped the tabs so that I didn't have to mess with trying to put a nut on the underside of the brace. Here's some pics.

Simple but effective. I still need to make some covers to cover the battery and other junk but it works for now.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats really helpful, and looks great mike, thanks for the reply. did you just bend it with a vice? I don't have access / experience welding so something similar to this would be a great solution for me.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I actually didn't have a vice so I just stood on one end and bent the other end over the edge of a slab with a hammer. It's pretty easy. I just bought a cheap angle grinder and some taps from harbor freight and it took about 20 min to mount.

·
Bobber Lover
319 Posts
Any other mounts with detailed pictures like Mike did. I would especially like to see some with the springs added for comfort and apperance.

Thanks

DC

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the pictures. I think i've found some one to help me weld one of the bitwell hinges on, so I think I might go that route

·
Registered
11 Posts
I bent a piece of flat bar to mount the front of the seat to the rear tank bolt. Then I made two tabs out of the same stuff for the rear seat studs. I had to drill two holes in the stock seat brace in line with the rear studs to mount the tabs. I drilled and tapped the tabs so that I didn't have to mess with trying to put a nut on the underside of the brace. Here's some pics.

Simple but effective. I still need to make some covers to cover the battery and other junk but it works for now.

Do you think you could use the original seat pan cut down to cover the wires etc?

I think I could mount my solo seat like you have done but the kit to cover the battery and wires from BCB and West eagle is a bit too expensive for what it is.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Fishtaco, did you had something like this in mind? A sketch I did long ago. Cutting it like this however will not leave a complete cover for the electronics.

Idea for a seat pan #2 by Vulcan Bobber Project, on Flickr

Almost the same but I was thinking leave the cut out right to the edge of the seat so it covers to the frame?

A west eagle seat kit will cost me $200 with postage and BCB only sell the kit with the seat,this will cost me about $450 with postage to Australia.

Do you know what size solo seat fits best on the VN800?

Cheers.

·
Bobber Lover
319 Posts

Mike

I am pretty certain that I have the exact same seat as your. I bought it from IMB4U here on the forum. I was wondering how comfortable the seating and riding is with your current mounting setup. Do you feel the need to add springs or is the current setup ride friendly? Also have you come up with and electronics "cover plate" of any sort?

If anyone here has the capabilities to fabricate a cover similar to BCB or West Eagle at a reasonable rate I would be interested in purchasing a cover from you. Send me a PM if you can do this.

Thanks

DC

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ended up buying a west eagle seat then mounting it like Mikegodwin mounted his, except I ended up with a freebie hinge for the front so I can left the seat without taking it all the way off.

The West Eagle mounting kit seems WAY over priced. You can do this with 5 dollars worth of flat bar, an angle grinder and a drill.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I ended up buying a west eagle seat then mounting it like Mikegodwin mounted his, except I ended up with a freebie hinge for the front so I can left the seat without taking it all the way off.

The West Eagle mounting kit seems WAY over priced. You can do this with 5 dollars worth of flat bar, an angle grinder and a drill.

I have test tried a few ways but without moving the battery and wiring I think it looks a bit odd, I have also wasted enough money on the wrong size seat.

I have ended up buying a larger La Rosa seat and the West eagle kit,the BCB kit covers too much I think and looks odd from the rear and side.

I also dont want to cut the bike about too much as Bobbers are not so popular in Australia,i want to be able to put it back as it was if I decide to sell one day!

If I cut the plastic bit that goes around the original rear fender will i still be able to put the original back on without leaving big gaps?

·
Registered
11 Posts

Have you got any pics from the side and above.

Cheers

Den

·
law don't go 'round here
430 Posts
Here's how I did mine. I wanted to remove the stock seat cross member because it looked goofy, so I chopped that off and welded a simple flat plate a bit further back. EZ

·
Pump Hopper
2,503 Posts
mike,I like your mounting shows the bones:) can you post a pic of what shows under the seat. are those 3"springs? looks like they brought your seat up to level. is flat bar far enough back you can get to battery?
I have the west eagle frame cover and spring mount.ai like the way it hides electrics under the seat

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hey Mike! I realize it's been forever but I figured it was worth a shot. I'm currently working on doing this same thing and had some questions.

1. What seat are you using here?
2. What do you mean by "tapping" the tabs? My original plan was to do a nut on the underside of the brace but would love to not have to do that as you did
3. In your opinion, would the flat stock do ok with a sprung setup? Just out of pure curiosity.

Thanks for any help!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts