Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to resurrect a ZG1000 from a 5 year snooze. It seems that it was put up with only about 3 gallons of gas with a fuel stabalizer in the fuel tank. It's a mess now. I pulled the tank, removed the petcock and drained most of the crap that used to be gasoline out. The tank has rust and needs to be cleaned. I'm thinking that some high flash point solvent like mineral spirits, diesel fuel or kerosene would do the trick without blowing myself up. Also I'm wondering if a few pebbles or marbles shaken around with the solvent would help dislodge some of the junk. Any ideas? The carbs will be next I suppose. Any ideas on them?

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
TANK

Flushing it with diesel is a good thing. I'd put some crushed gravel or something in it first to shake it up an get the scale lose, then add the diesel ...then clean it with diesel again...when you go to hook it up use a good fuel filter not a plastic one... pulling the carb drain plugs and working a tank of diesel through the carbs won't hurt either... to losen them up and let them soak some. When you get ready to run the bike add just a little diesel to the gas and it will loosen and oil the upper/top end as it is oil based. not to much or you will leave a trail of smoke way behind you. Expect teh filter to fill up soon and have a spare with you wrapped in plastic or in your pocket...I would suspect that if the carbs won't soak loose you will have to remove them and clean them up inside adn then adjust and resync them. good find though!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ZX, I'll try the diesel fuel. Don't you think though that rattling around some rocks in a gas vapor filled tank without the diesel fuel is a little dangerous? I've never done this before and I don't want to end up in the top of my neighbor's tree. Also, someone said to put water in the tank to get out most of the debris before putting in the diesel. I guess I'll get as many opinions as I ask people. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
DIESEL

Not a problem with diesel...gas you would end up with an exploded tank an serious injuries...diesel won't do that...Living on a farm you learn lots of things...Instead of Marvel Mystery oil you could put small amounts of diesel in your fuel tank. If you had an old car that was all sludged up you could empth the iol an dchange hte filter add diesel and run it i clean it out,,,for about 5 minutes or so...then drain it and watch all the "sludge" run out, changing the filter and adding a cheap 30 withgth oil run it aaround for a couple of hours, then change the oil and filter using a synthetic oil...the about 2500 miles change th filter agian...clean oil, for a long time and you engine runs great.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts