Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help me with this??? I have a 2000 Vulcan 1500 Classic but dunno if its' FI or not........

What is the difference between them any way??? do the parts of one fit the other?? any info would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
An easy way to check for FI or Carb on the bike, when you turn on your key look at the display. If its FI, a FI light will blink along with your engine light. 2000 was the first year they made a Classic FI. But the sure fire way to find out is by the V.I.N. If you have your registration handy check it out. the 7th digit from the left is what you need to look at. The Classic will be an E and the Classic FI will be a N.

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
I believe '04 and older 1500 Classics are Carbed. '05 and newer are FI. I don't suppose you have an owner's manual?
nope

in 2003 and 2004, the 1500's were carb'd. but the 2002 and 2001's were FI'd. In 2005 and beyond they were again FI'd.

why the swap back in '03 and '04? I have no idea but maybe they had a crapload of carbs sitting on the shelf they wanted to git rid of?

The FI have different frames than the Carb'd so in looking for aftermarket parts, sometimes it needs to be specific to the fuel system model.

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
My '04 1500 VN is FI. Look on the Gadjet site, they have a spec list.
what color is it, is it a nomad?

in 2004, the nomads were fi, the classics carbd

·
Custom '07 1500 Classic
1,737 Posts
All the answers on how to figure out which you have are correct. In 2000 Kawasaki made both a Fi and a carb version of the Classic. Some things, many in fact are interchangeable between the two bikes, but not everything. Fuel tank and instrument panels are different as are the seats and a number of engine components. Also you'll find that specific intake parts will NOT interchange between the 2000 Fi an post 2004 versions as they used completely different throttle bodies and Fi controllers.

In either case, carb or Fi you've got yourself one fine motorcycle.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I understand that the carbed bikes have a seamed tank (4.3 gals) and the FI has a smooth tank (5.0 gals). The seam refers to the bottom of the tank.

·
Kawman
40 Posts
If the bike is fuel injected there will be a "FI" printed somewhere on the speedodometer faceplate (where the speed numbers are on the speedometer)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thats not always true. Some FI Bikes have a "choke" on the left switch housing thats actually a fast idle circuit. So not always the best way. But if it has a petcock under the tank = carb or a FI symbol on the speedo = FI. Quickest and easiest way!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I guess I should of made it clearer in my original question......do the parts of a Classic (that I have) fit the parts of an FI??? basically are they interchangeable in parts??

·
Rebel Rider
3,646 Posts
Everyone left out the most obvious way to tell the difference. If it's a carbed model, it will have a CARBURATOR.

·
Test Pilot
2,916 Posts
I guess I should of made it clearer in my original question......do the parts of a Classic (that I have) fit the parts of an FI??? basically are they interchangeable in parts??

Umm, it's hard to answer that until you find out if it's FI or Carbed. ;)

·
Rebel Rider
3,646 Posts

The FI is a Classic. Two models of the Classic 1500 were made, the Fuel Injected model, and a Carbed model.

And no, most parts are not interchangeable, depends on what parts you are talking about.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The FI is a Classic. Two models of the Classic 1500 were made, the Fuel Injected model, and a Carbed model.

And no, most parts are not interchangeable, depends on what parts you are talking about.
Rims.....that's what I happen to be looking for now.....I need front and rear for a 2000 1500 Classic....I had found one that was FI last week and the guy didn't know if it would fit my bike since it wasn't FI but no it don't matter because the guy doesn't have the bike for parts any more....but it still good to know.....

By the way still looking for those rims......if anyone has any info pls let me know!

·
'01 1500 Classic FI
1,163 Posts
The 1500 Classic FI was available during the 2000-2002
model years then went on hiatus when the 1600 Classic
debuted in 2003 model year.

Meanwhile, the 1500 Classic carb was in production from
the 1996 through 2004 model years.

The 1500 Classic FI was resurrected for the 2005-2008
model years when the 1500 Classic carb was dropped.

However, the 2005-2008 1500 Classic FI was renamed
1500 Classic (FI designation was removed).

1 - 20 of 77 Posts