Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i just bought my zx7r 1997 its my first bike ever and it a lil bit 2 high for me i heard u can lower it some how can anyone tell me how i can do this or if theres any fotos i tryed searchin for a topic like that so sorry if im reposting somethin already coverd thx

PS i can barely reach i dropped it twice already im on my tip toes

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
shave the seat ???
Yeah, that's always a good start. Take the seat off, look at the bottom carefully and take pics of the seat. Find out how the cover attached to the seat bottom and then carefully remove it. Then take a pic of the foam so that you can look back at that too for shape reference. See how thick the foam is and shave some off; replace the cover. I believe you can shave off as much as an inch on some seats. You never know, that might be enough to get you on the balls of your feet and you'll be set.

What kind of pegs do you have? Are they rigid? If they are, see if you can find a pair that are spring-loaded that fold up easily. If it wasn't for those on my bike, I'd be struggling a little when walking the bike. I learned by accident that the pegs fold up easily when my calves hit them--the difference is being on the balls of my feet because my legs are closer to the bike vs on my toes with my legs beyond the pegs.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Let start over is this your first bike ? You should be able to ride with one foot down. when you stop slide to the side alittle and put you left foot down the right foot hold the rear brake. only time you wanna put your right foot down at a stop is if you are on a an off camber situation and your right foot is closer to the ground. I have only a 30 inch inseam and had to do this one every bike I have own and the first was a dr650.
If this still makes you uncomfortable you can have you seat shaved....I wouldn't do it myself bring it to an auto trim shop they charged 25 bucks to do my wifes seat the took aninch off of it and contoured it . I tried doing it and with out a good stapler and the right tools its worth just spending the money.
your other option is to buy lowering links for the rear shock which if you are mechanically inclined can do yourself if not pay some one to do it right . you can get the parts for like 50 bucks the labor should cost 150.00 around
you will also have to have the front lowered an equal amount but slipping the fork tubes up in the triple trees which is just labor.

·
Registered
11,821 Posts
Shave the seat...Take off the cover and shave the foam with a shaver...I have a project going where I found this glittery silver black vinyl for my 10R...I hope to do it this weekend. I did it for my 636. You can also use lowering links if they have it for your bike...Also lower front to match if you can and then adjust suspension.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts