Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
900 LT
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always fuel the bike seated on it with the bike level then it came to me if i fuel on the side stand that could mean possibly 1/2 galon more then i usually pack in it.

·
Waiting for happy hour
3,059 Posts
My Customs owners manual shows a diagram of the prefered fuel level to be about an inch or so below the filler. I just fuel mine about 2-3" below the filler neck on the stand. It looks right when stood upright. I just stick the filler nozzel down in there so it cuts itself off.

·
Post 340 Riders
107 Posts
I always fuel the bike seated on it with the bike level then it came to me if i fuel on the side stand that could mean possibly 1/2 galon more then i usually pack in it.

Seems like a lot of extra work to save on an extra 1/2 gallon going into your tank. Attempting to keep the cost of a fill up down? The way I picture this is you pull up to pump, put the stand down, climb off and go pre pay or dig out the wallet and credit card do all the functions at the pump, climb back on the bike and pump. I'm guessing if you paid by credit card you could reach over and hang the hose back and drive off. But if you have change coming its back off the bike again for the trip to the cashier.
That negative 1/2 gallon also cuts into how far you can get before your pushing that ride.... :eek: WHY???

·
900 LT
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seems like a lot of extra work to save on an extra 1/2 gallon going into your tank. Attempting to keep the cost of a fill up down? The way I picture this is you pull up to pump, put the stand down, climb off and go pre pay or dig out the wallet and credit card do all the functions at the pump, climb back on the bike and pump. I'm guessing if you paid by credit card you could reach over and hang the hose back and drive off. But if you have change coming its back off the bike again for the trip to the cashier.
That negative 1/2 gallon also cuts into how far you can get before your pushing that ride.... :eek: WHY???

Its just the way we fuel here in New Jersey, state law prohibits self fueling but the fuel attendants will not actually fill a bike so we sit on it and wait for one of them to hand us the nozzle.

Then we pay and leave

if you read my post i am not trying to save a half gallon but wondering if i can possibly squeeze in another half.

·
Retired High Miler
1,209 Posts
Fuel seated on the bike? Are you trying to get your roasted Christmas chesnuts early? The thought gives me the shivers.

·
Missy Peregrym's #1 fan!
7,792 Posts
i leave my bike on the stand, it gets fuller somehow. i stand beside it and use my card at the pump.

·
Poser Proud®
3,778 Posts
Usually just sit on the bike and have a smoke while the tank is filling. Keep the lighter handy so I can have enough light to look down in the tank to see if it is full. Thought that is what all REAL bikers did. ;)

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
If you filler cap is off to the side of the console, it was designed to be fueled on the sidestand (don't fill it and then pop the cap when upright).
For tanks with the filler in the middle, you will get more fuel in when upright, but it's not safe.

Search through the forum and you will find MANY accounts of people dropping their bikes at gas stations from slipping on a wet/oily spot in front of the pump.

If you have a sportbike or other bike with a center stand and the filler cap on the centerline of the tank, use the centerstand.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I stop at the pump, put kickstand down but keep the bike upright. I grab the nozzle, select the grade of gas then start pumping while the bike is still upright. I fill it into the neck of the tank. I move the bike a bit back and forth and you can view some of the gas sucking back in the tank filling in the air pockets. Then I walk in and pay. I've been doing this since I bought my bike in 02 with no problems and performing this method since I've been riding bikes.

To answer the question about an extra 1/2 gallon....that 1/2 gallon can make a difference of being short about 20 to 25 miles to the next station if you're on a rural road.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Of course the most important thing is to use a paper towel under the nozzle when bringing it to and removing it from the filler so you do not spill gas on your paint.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I sit on the bike, the old lady, I mean the wife get off puts the credit card in hand me the pump with the nozzle pointing up and selects the grad. I pump the gas then hold the nozzle pointing up I hand her the pump she get the receipt climbs back on and off we go to the wild blue yonder.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Fuel the bike??!!

I have people do that for me.
Isn't it just the little people that pay taxes as well?

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Sidestand down, me - off the bike (just in case of a fire), fuel level to the fill hole. That's it.

·
MaNaMaNa DoDoDoDoDo
4,767 Posts
On sidestand in Washington (pump your own). Sitting upright in Oregon and I put my own in (not self service in Oregon).

1 - 20 of 41 Posts