Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 1989 EX500 which needs its water pump cover replaced (bought the bike damaged). I took off the bottom fairing and took out all 4 screws, but the water pump cover just won't come off, it wiggles, but doesn't come off. There is a hard line going into the engine block from the pump cover, will that just slide out?

It looks like its two pieces, the water pump cover (what I need to replace) and the water pump base, I can't get the two apart. Do I just pry them apart with a screwdriver? Can that damage it?

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
been here done this lol
its a O-RING on the water pump line and its a real PITA to get out. you will have to PRY it out, just be careful to not bend/kink/collapse the line.
good luck

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm having trouble separating the water pump cover and the back. They just wont come apart. The entire thing (front and back) moves as one piece. I have all 4 bolts out, and the bolt fromthe bottom to let the water out. I can't get the two apart.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got it apart and changed the cover. The part that I had trouble separating the water pump cover from (the water pump back) isn't on the diagram. They were held together with some screw guides which were very tight. I had to pry the cover off the back with two screwdrivers. Surprisingly, the orings on mine weren't hard to remove. Thanks for the help :).

Anyways, its done, the new pump cover is on my bike :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have what I think is a different problem from Fixion. The water pump cover is loose, but it really seems the hardline is holding it in there. Does the hard line come out of the end thats in the engine block, water pump cover, or both?

Basically, what should I pry?

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
I have what I think is a different problem from Fixion. The water pump cover is loose, but it really seems the hardline is holding it in there. Does the hard line come out of the end thats in the engine block, water pump cover, or both?

Basically, what should I pry?
Blimey mate you dug this one up from a while back..:wink:

The Hard line will come away from the Engine side, There is an 'O' ring that does hold it in there quite tightly when it's got corrosion around it..

Prying anywhere you can get in but as QWENUF4Y said beware you don't damage anything especially the casing in the process.

The Locating Dowels are what ultimately get corroded and hold the cover on and they are a right PIG to get off :cry:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Digging up old threads is always better than making a new one. Also avoids the "do a f#$%ing search" replies ;)

Thanks for your help, I'll give it a shot tonight. I still need to source a new part or find a buddy with a TIG welder. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Digging up old threads is always better than making a new one. Also avoids the "do a f#$%ing search" replies ;)

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thanks for your help, I'll give it a shot tonight. I still need to source a new part or find a buddy with a TIG welder. Any suggestions?
I would source New as Tig welding up your old one raises the issue with it being perfectly flat to form a good fit..

New are resonably priced as its not a hugely complicated part..

·
Registered
5 Posts
hey guys. I am in Silicon Valley and just bought an '06 EX500. While riding it home on surface streets I noticed the smell of coolant. Apparently the moron who had it previously dropped the bike and it cracked the water pump cover. They went ahead and patched it w/ that magic putty crap you see on tv.

Needless to say I ordered a new pump cover (16142) and gasket (11009A) from a local dealer for a bit over $100 for both. I drained the coolant and for removed the 4 bolts, as you had mentioned above. and that, my friends is where I'm stuck.

the rubber hose it off, no prob. But I have that thick hard line and can't get the dang thing off. I'm not trying to pry or force. Can you elaborate on the O-Ring thing?

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

-eric

http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/f...kes-sportbikes/109367-500r-cooloant-leak.html

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
The curved pipe from the waterpump has O-rings on each end. They corrode into the engine and or waterpump housing and make removal of that pipe quite difficult.

Refer to the parts diagrams for the radiator to see how that pipe fits. Then use a high quality penetrating oil on the outside of those two unions and allow it to soak in and soften the corrosion before attempting to pull the pipe after the waterpump housing is loose.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The curved pipe from the waterpump has O-rings on each end. They corrode into the engine and or waterpump housing and make removal of that pipe quite difficult.

Refer to the parts diagrams for the radiator to see how that pipe fits. Then use a high quality penetrating oil on the outside of those two unions and allow it to soak in and soften the corrosion before attempting to pull the pipe after the waterpump housing is loose.

I see. so you are saying that it SHOULD come loose but some spray and a little extra pulling SHOULD let it pop off ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
ok, thanks guys.

I finally figured it out. The spray and a gentle nudge w/ a wide flatblade did the trick. I am going to clean it up and flush it while I wait. I have a little orange in there.

I should have the new gasket and cover by Monday.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts