Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 1600 Classic is really attractive bike to me, I like the lines. Sitting on it
that tank is so nice, the bike isnt to heavy.. I just dig it.
In some comparo articles Ive read, they knock it for being underpowered.
A Few questions,
1. Is it "Underpowered" stock compared to Stock Roadstar or Harley ?

2. If you do Aftermarket HK Pipes, Breather, and Mapping how would it compare then? and would it have that snap / kick when you twist the throttle. I don't care about sneakin up on a Vrod or killing a VTX or trying to embarrass VN2000. But the kick when you twist the throttle its just you and a straight away thats what its all about sometimes...

3. Is it pretty quiet stock, and after the mods would it have a deep deep tone? No so much LOUD as DEEEEEEEP

4. Lastly, Would you say its a good Highway bike, does it feel heavy enough to have that "Planted substantial feel"

Thanks alot Amigos

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

its a great bike!! fantastic road bike for trips.and pretty nimble around town

underpowered? not for it was designed for imo
does it play race the roadstar,harley or anybody else - no
can you mod it to get good dyno #'s - yes
this is a torque bike not a hp bike - close to 90lbs ft tq can be obatined
you won't sneak up on any of the bikes you mention

exhaust note is quiet at first with a little improvement after some miles
deep tones can be achieved with its single crankpin motor

i think it is a great roadbike for trips and will tool along quite nicely at 80mph
with no hint of unstabilness - its solid as a rock

nearly all the owners of this bike are quite pleased with its dependability
and low maintenance,myself included :wink:

·
Registered
67 Posts
My take on the 16 classic is no it's not underpowered , more like stealthy smooth muscle. I've owned Kz1000's and a ZRX and I can tell you this thing will flat move.
It's not too quiet stock rolling about 30 you can hear the inner beast rumbling, I'm running HK K-2's a no other mod's and it sounds great better than most hardley's. And yeah you can ruhn along in 15-20 mph crosswinds and feel the thing holding you online. My Dealer, a longtime friend, talked me out of a 15 and priced me into a 16 saying I'd thank him later . Can't say he was wrong it's a great ride.

P

·
0 Posts
Da Ova Cussa said:
The 1600 Classic is really attractive bike to me, I like the lines. Sitting on it
that tank is so nice, the bike isnt to heavy.. I just dig it.
In some comparo articles Ive read, they knock it for being underpowered.
A Few questions,

It has a bit less "power" (check performance stats in various magazine articles) than the equivelant model HD. It also costs $8-10K less...and you won't consider it underpowered after riding it. It is not a a "race" bike and keeps up in it's class of bike without any problem. You won't call it "underpowered".

2. If you do Aftermarket HK Pipes, Breather, and Mapping how would it compare then? and would it have that snap / kick when you twist the throttle. I don't care about sneakin up on a Vrod or killing a VTX or trying to embarrass VN2000. But the kick when you twist the throttle its just you and a straight away thats what its all about sometimes...

Yes...that will make a difference in performance. Still won't beat a VMax in a 1/4 mile but you'll likely be impressed unless you are currently riding something very hot...

3. Is it pretty quiet stock, and after the mods would it have a deep deep tone? No so much LOUD as DEEEEEEEP

Sounds good stock...not loud but deeper than usual factory mufflers on similar models. After the mods it will be "deeper" and freakin loud...

4. Lastly, Would you say its a good Highway bike, does it feel heavy enough to have that "Planted substantial feel"

You won't find a better mid/large cruiser with near the features for the equivelant $. Great highway bike...certainly heavy enough (call it 750 lbs. with full fuel and fluids, bags, highway bars and windshield..). Some will tell you the rider's seat sucks for long distances and needs relacement though it's fine for my usual riding style.

pms

·
Registered
67 Posts
PMS I'm glad you mentioned that seat thing I was beginning to think I was the only one that thought it was fine. I'd read alot of posts about replacing the seat. I think it just takes a while to break in. Either that or Iron butt syndrome has set in.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses guys, You too Chromequeen. I want one. To me it's the
best lookin bike in this class and a fantastic value, The modding possibilities are endless. This summer, It will be mine.

P

·
0 Posts
bykman said:
PMS I'm glad you mentioned that seat thing I was beginning to think I was the only one that thought it was fine. I'd read alot of posts about replacing the seat. I think it just takes a while to break in. Either that or Iron butt syndrome has set in.
bykman,
Yeah, I really don't have complaints about the seat though I don't put 400-500 miles in it a day. Maybe if I get a long trip this spring I'll change my mind but not yet. Might be a function of what you are used to also. The 1600 Classic is real comfortable compared to Sportster, Yamaha or Marauder I rode before this bike...

pms

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
The stock seat had me sliding up and back on that little ramp on the back of the seat. Besides that- it seemed fine for the first six hours or so. It doesn't breath very well if you'll be touring.

I put a Mustang seat on mine, but don't like that seat either (for sale soon)
I'm having my stock seat remolded and covered with leather :-D

OK, back on topic. For the money you spend, you won't find a nicer bike than the 1600. I really like the fenders and overall appearance of the classics.

If you want a fast performance bike- get the Ninja. If you want a stylish cruiser get the 1600.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts

Dunno. At least the Kaws are water cooled though.

Expect about a 10% increase with intake, exhaust, and FI controller

Doesn't sound bad stock, but once the other bikers start blaring their pipes you might want to play too. After intake and exhaust change she'll be plenty loud.

The bike feels planted and stable at highway speeds.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I say get a 1500, but I guess I am biased. Only thing I like more on the 16 is the dual disc brakes. Other than that, I like the 15 best. It's quicker and better mileage than a 1600 too, so I've heard. :eek:

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
I like that the 1600 has a larger tank, the dual front disk brakes are nice too, also the key location is MUCH better than the 1500, and that you can remove it after starting it is helpful too.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Mine is new a 2004 1600 Classic and I only have about 50 miles on it but so far it is all I expected and more. Stock pipes are plenty loud in my book. Super stable but not to heavy around town. Faster than both the Harleys I have owned, FLH and Sportster.

Call me a convert

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
Mac said:
Mine is new a 2004 1600 Classic and I only have about 50 miles on it but so far it is all I expected and more. Stock pipes are plenty loud in my book. Super stable but not to heavy around town. Faster than both the Harleys I have owned, FLH and Sportster.

Call me a convert
...Convert!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I say get a 1500, but I guess I am biased. Only thing I like more on the 16 is the dual disc brakes. Other than that, I like the 15 best. It's quicker and better mileage than a 1600 too, so I've heard.

The 16 is 100mm longer for a smoother ride, fuel injected ,NO choke , Larger front forks for better handling, has no goats belly on the exhaust, Seamless tank for cleaner lines, and way wider bar's for improved cornering. My 1600 get's 48 mpg avg. Shoot My KLR only got 53 mpg avg. The 16 is the improved evolution of the 15 which is a great ride to begin with.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts