Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. Tell me how a "Wet" clutch works in a motorcycle? I have the understanding that the clutch plates need oil for the purpose of swelling (like a sponge) and a spring actually applies the pressure on the plates bringing them together. Your still getting the necessary friction between the plates regardless of the oil that you use. In this case (with regard to clutches only) it shouldn't matter if you use synthetic or mineral based oil correct?

·
Super Moderator
10,861 Posts
A wet clutch means the clutch runs wet, in oil. Forget the swelling. You have the right idea with the spring. And it DOES matter what type, grade, weight, etc., etc. oil you run. Many threads are dedicated to this- check 'em out.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Wet Clutch

There Are Usually 3 Or 4 Friction And 3 Or 4 Steel Plates In A Clutch Pack That Get Squeezed Together By A Pressure Plate. This Clutch Pack Is Submerged In Oil For Cooling And Lubricating Purposes And To Allow Some Slippage Without Wearing Out. Some Slippage In The Clutches Is Nescessary But Too Much Slippage Will Overheat The Plates And Burn Them Out. Thats Why It Is Believed That Synthetic Oil May Allow Too Much Slippage Due To Its Superior Slick Lubricating Qualities, Thus Overheating The Plates. Remember, Cluthces Dont Just Slip When We Are Engaging And Disengaging Them, They Could Slip All The Thime We Are Under Way And Riding. We Would Never Feel It Until Its Too Late.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Will the clutch still work if I add a gear oil additive named aerowonderlube? It is a super lubricant invented by a Filipino. Will the clutch slide because of that super lubricant?

·
Need Time To Ride
3,247 Posts
Will the clutch still work if I add a gear oil additive named aerowonderlube? It is a super lubricant invented by a Filipino. Will the clutch slide because of that super lubricant?
Adding the lube will likely lead to a slipping clutch. The claims on their website look like a bunch of BS.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Re: Wet Clutch

There Are Usually 3 Or 4 Friction And 3 Or 4 Steel Plates In A Clutch Pack That Get Squeezed Together By A Pressure Plate. This Clutch Pack Is Submerged In Oil For Cooling And Lubricating Purposes And To Allow Some Slippage Without Wearing Out. Some Slippage In The Clutches Is Nescessary But Too Much Slippage Will Overheat The Plates And Burn Them Out. Thats Why It Is Believed That Synthetic Oil May Allow Too Much Slippage Due To Its Superior Slick Lubricating Qualities, Thus Overheating The Plates. Remember, Cluthces Dont Just Slip When We Are Engaging And Disengaging Them, They Could Slip All The Thime We Are Under Way And Riding. We Would Never Feel It Until Its Too Late.
is this why most books recommend you use a semi Synthetic oil ??

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
Best Oils To Use In Your Bike (Just My Opinion)

Engine oil : The commercial grade oils are clearly superior to the mass market oils. For the best protection in your bike or car, use Shell Rotella Synthetic, available at Wal-Mart in blue containers . For the best petroleum oil you can buy, get Shell Rotella T, Mobil Delvac 1300, or Chevron Delo 400, available at any auto parts store. On the back of most oil cans is a circular stamp with the certification. Avoid oils that say "energy conserving" in the bottom half of the donut. These oils contain friction modifier additives that could cause clutch slipping over time. The EPA mandated certain gas mileage, so the auto makers turned to the oil manufacturers who came up with friction modifiers of the oil to meet these new standards. All XXw-20 and XXw-30 oils are energy conserving, and should not be used in your motorcycle. Don't buy any oil additives like STP or Slick-50. Here's several listings on all about oil justifying these conclusions.

The Recommended Synthetic Oils :

Shell Rotella Synthetic
5w-40 Delvac 1 Synthetic
5w-40 Mobil-1 SUV/Truck Synthetic
5w-40 AMSOil AMF Synthetic (pricey, but it’s your money)
10w-40 Golden Spectro Synthetic
10w-50 Motul 5100 Synthetic
10w-40 Mobil-1 Synthetic
15w-50 Mobil-1 MX4T Synthetic

The best synthetics are: (in no particular order)

Shell Rotella-T Synthetic 5w-40 (blue container is synthetic, not white which is dino), gallon at Wal-Mart.
Mobil Delvac-1 5w-40 (grey container is synthetic, not black which is dino), gallon at Petro stations, gallon at Farm and Fleet.
Mobil-1 SUV 5w-40, qt anywhere.
AMSOil AMF 10w-40 synthetic motorcycle oil. (again, pricey)
Golden Spectro Supreme, (no price).
Motul 5100 Ester, (no price).

Mobil-1 automotive oils all contain small amounts of moly - about 100 to 200 ppm. This can cause clutch slippage in some motorcycles. I've only heard of this being a problem in Honda Shadows.

The Recommended Petroleum Oils

Chevron Delo 400 15w-40
Delvac 1300 15w-40
Shell Rotella 15w-40

The best petroleum oils are: (in no particular order)

Chevron Delo 400 15w-40 (blue container) gallon at any auto parts store, gallons at Costco.

Mobil Delvac 1300 15w-40 (black container) gallon at any auto parts store, gallons at Sam's Club.

Shell Rotella-T 15w-40 (white container) gallon at Wal-Mart or any auto parts store, gallons at Sam's Club.

Castrol 15w-40 (Green container) gallon at Wal-Mart or any auto parts store, gallons at Sam’s club.

·
Registered
31 Posts
thx Mike.....Silly question but do you... or anybody else run a thicker oil in summer and thinner oil in winter or does it make NO differance !! just that some old fella told me to do it thats all ... ?? I was wondering if the bloke new something I didnt ?

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
The 15 weight oils are what I use. Now the Harley Davidson crowd may use the 20 weight oil due to the engine demands that 15 weight oil won't handle. Where I live,the recommended oil meets my bikes needs, come winter, it's time for rest & rebuilding.

Oil and metal technologies have greatly improved even from when the 80's motorcycles came out,It's a good idea to ask about what other people are using. The old saying about "Oil is cheap, engines, not so much" is still true.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts