Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 95 ZX7 and just for fun i took it all apart yesterday and now i got to the carbs and i was going to take it in and get them cleaned but now im thinking i can save my self the $275 and do it my self.also how do i know if i need to jet it or not? i bout it this summer and it has ran a little less then par compared to what people say it should?

·
ULTIMATE Forum Supporter
7,748 Posts
There are experienced wrenchers on this site who would think nothing of doing the job. The key word is 'experienced'. Also, the job requires patience and a slow methodical approach to do a tediously thorough cleaning.

Advice- Once you think you've done the best job you can, start over and clean them again.

Have you considered the possibility that after cleaning, if not a VERY thorough job the bike may run as poorly as it does now? Then what? Pull them and reclean.

Carbs
Dan's Motorcycle
Troubleshooting motorcyle carburators - Cyclemainteance.com

Good luck! I think you're on the right track giving the carbs a thorough cleaning, but make sure you check your tank, fuel lines etc. for any debris. No point cleaning your carbs if the first time you open the petcock you dump a bunch of gunk into your nice clean carbs.

·
nu2kawi
2,707 Posts
Rejetting would be something you would do if you've done some mods, like pipes and intake. Not sure how someone could tell you it's not running up to par without doing a dyno or something. Cleaning the carbs is not a fix all either. Unless it's something you just want to do, Check more simple things first like air filter, plugs, vents, fuses, connections of wires and hoses. Then if you must, get some info on your carbs, read it, reread it, make sure you have the right tools and right parts to do the job. Make sure you have a good clean place to do the job. Then just ride it till you have to do a carb job, cause if you have to ask if it's easy, the answer is yes if your familiar with how they work, or no if you're not. Not only do you have to get them off the bike, but put them back on and do adjustments with the right tools and equipment (guages,tac) things like that. But you'll get to know your bike alittle if you do a carb job. It may not run right but at least you'll know why!!! Since you've taken the bike apart, you may as well go for it.

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
If you don't at least have the book telling you how to put the carbs back together, leave them alone. JMHO

·
Registered
157 Posts
Sage advice antiq. The carb pages of my manuals always have the most solvent on them. I don't have a large solvent tank, so the gallon sized carb cleaner dip bucket has to suffice. Every bit of rubber and plastic should comes off, and they are completely disassembled before the dip. I usually soak each carb (the parts, not assembled) overnight, then blow them out with the air compresser. As bross said, then do it again. It's amazing how much crud can come out again after the second cleaning.

I know some that claim a good carb cleaning consists of spraying the aerosol carb cleaner on the outside and down the throats, and sometimes remove the float bowls and spray around a bit. They claim this works for them. I don't know how well that really works. Others claim that running some Sea Foam through the tank is all they need to do to clean their carbs. That can't hurt, but that isn't a carb cleaning, in my opinion.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:cool: so your sayin that i should remove all parts and soak the by there selfs. what kind of solvents? and where can i get them in bulk? and again thank you to every one for your help! :cool:

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
If it still runs. I usually try a few tanks of fuel with Techron injector cleaner. More often than not it works pretty well. If I do take them apart along with the soaking and spraying there is also brush scrubbing with tooth brush size brass bristle brushes and probing every hole I can find with suitably small pieces of wire.

·
Registered
157 Posts
CButler, you can go to most auto parts stores and buy a gallon of carb cleaner, with a dip basket inside it, for around $18. However, if you don't have a manual for the bike that discusses carb tear down and rebuilding, I wouldn't recommend just winging it. If you aren't comfortable with doing a thorough job, you can always send them off to Wired George
wiredgeorge motorcycle carburetors - Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Carburetor Sales, Rebuilding and Restoration - Home
and invest a few bucks in getting them perfect, or as antiq said, you can try the shortcut route first.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i did all the cleaning and two off my needle jets have carotion/carbon on them and on of them the very tip broke off. an idea how this happened?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
i did all the cleaning and two off my needle jets have carotion/carbon on them and on of them the very tip broke off. an idea how this happened?
Wow. That sucks! Either you were being too, um... enthusiastic, or they were corroded. I'd stick with corroded just to save face. :mrgreen:
At least you can still get the stock needles easily, unlike some of the bikes I own.

And remember: the very tip is only used at Wide Open Throttle, so you can use what you have until the new ones come in.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
it winter in wisconsin i dont think that ill be riding for a little bit :) but ya i pulled it out and they were corroded at the tips and then i soaked them for about 5 hour and when i pulled them out and try to wip them clean the tip just kinda crumbled off :(

·
Time to Ride
7,572 Posts
its not the cleaing here that is an issue, its puttin all the **** california emissions hoses back together

·
Registered
598 Posts
Some of the needles have a synthetic tip.
Last can of dip cleaner (Chemtool) I got sucked. Being environmentally safe is not good for solvents. Think I'll try lacquer thinner next time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts