Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
99%er
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get the rims prepped for painting. How difficult is it to take out the bearings, seals etc..
Thanks

·
'08 900 custom
739 Posts
I took mine to a place and they charged me like $30 to take em all out and another $30 to put the tires back on and balance em.

·
Bobber Builder
627 Posts
If the tire is already off then it is simple. There are C clips holding the bearings in. there is a C clip tool that sqeezes them together to get it out of the groove. Once those are off you can pull the bearings out with a little heat. If you do not have the tools to do the job, yes, for $30 it can be done in about 5 minutes.

·
USE BATH SALTS
298 Posts
take the snap rings out. get a piece of steel that can fit all the way thru the hub and smack out the bearing from the opposite side. flip and repeat. u can use round bar or flat stock. just catch the inside race of the bearing and begin firmly tapping. move around the bearing so it doesnt bind up. plan on getting new bearings just in case. u could always tape of the breaing too.

·
900 LT
1,135 Posts
If the tire is already off then it is simple. There are C clips holding the bearings in. there is a C clip tool that sqeezes them together to get it out of the groove. Once those are off you can pull the bearings out with a little heat. If you do not have the tools to do the job, yes, for $30 it can be done in about 5 minutes.
Might want to re-think the heat on the bearing thing the aluminum wheel can easily be distorted when hot.

Punch the bearings out from the opposite side if the wheel and replace them with new, do not remove any wheel bearing you dont plan to replace.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts