Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I was wondering how hard and/or expensive is it to find replacement parts for "vintage" Kawas? I'm new to motorcycles, but I would like a project to work on this summer. I was thinking of searching the salvage yards for a mid-80's to 90's ninja 600.

I'm fairly mechanically inclined and I have a lot of friends more talented than me, and i'm more than willing to learn; so an engine rebuild is not out of the question.

I'm your typical poor college student, so I just want to make sure that I"m not getting in over my head money-wise. Time and labor is not really an issue.

I guess if I had to break it down, i'd have $500 for the motorcycle and maybe $1500 for parts.

Any information, maybe tips to look for when I'm at the salvage-yard, or a more common model (in the 600cc range) and especially links to companies that sell aftermarket parts, would be great!

I hope to learn a lot from this rebuild and in-turn be able to help out others on the board... just like you guys do!

Thanks,
jomiz

·
Registered
269 Posts
With $2000.00 to spend you could probably find a late '80's zx600 in decent ridable shape. My biggest problem with mine is finding parts at a decent price. The cosmetics are the hardest stuff to find like fairings, but it is worth it to me to have something different when I go around other enthusiasts. Mine diffinetly is easy to spot in a crowd of 2000 - 20004 sport bikes. Good luck on what ever ya get, and enjoy.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Why would you want to restore a ninja 600? Restore something worth the time and effort.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
First off - Do it, it's fun putting it together, it's fun hunting down the parts, it gives you a hobby, enjoyment and a lot of new friends!

Restoring a sportbike is a lot of fun, but keep in mind that restoration takes time unless you have a rainfall of money. In some cases many parts are available through your dealer :lol: If not, (this is where the patience kicks in) you will have to find the part you are looking for. You're not going to find every parts dealer stocking upgrade pipes for your bike, 16" tire will have to be ordered - small inconvenience 2-3 day wait. Some people will buy a second bike, just to keep one running and to help restore which is not a bad idea as a trip to the dealer could cost more than a couple hundred. I know I have spent at least $200.00 in parts and I just saw a picked apart Ninja for $200.00, but with shipping it is not logistically sound for me to buy.

As a project, it is a lot of fun and you will know your bike inside and out. I assure you, many riders have no idea what makes there bike go except the gas they put in and the key they turn. If you find satisfaction of doing your own work as I do and have time and patience - Have a blast.

Your bike will be unique in the end and not just another sportbike with 20,000 brothers.

Good luck!

·
Registered
191 Posts
i wouldnt pick a ninja to restore. you want something cool. Try a kz1000 or 900. my personaly favorite for resto projects is eddie lawson replicas. gpz, kzs whatever. Or you could do a classic two stroke kaw like an H2. Ninjas arent really a good resto project. if you want a good sport bike i wouldnt get a late 80s ninja unless its a zx10. just a cool bike all around.

http://www.reproductiondecals.com/default_frameset.html?content.html~main

thats a good site for reproduction decals. You can find parts on ebay and a few other web sites. but id stick to an old air cooled kaw for a resto project.

this guy did a great job on these vintage race replicas

http://www.sentex.net/~abiggs/kawasaki/photo.html

there are some sweet bikes. I emailed the guy, he seems nice. check out the pic of eddie lawson signing his gas tank on one of his bikes. priceless.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts