Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still trying to figure out what is causing my engine problems since removing the CA emmisions stuff on my 89' EX 500. I went by the mechanic's the other day and explained the problem. He suggested that it might be a "hydrolock". Could be, since I capped the two tubes that come out the front end of the tank. I'm not sure though because it ran for 1 hour before it started acting up the last time. Then it happened every 2-3 minutes after that for the next 1/2 hour. I opened the tank several times durring that period and it did'nt seem to make any difference in the durration it took to restart the bike.

I checked the vacume diaphram on the pepcock and it is in working order.

I replaced all the vacume tubes, put the emmisions stuff back on and reconected everything as I recall.

Two questions, for non-CA bikes, how is your tank vented? What do those two tubes conect to on your bikes with no emmisions stuff?

Also, on the CA bikes, the emisions stuff is conected to the air switch valve and one carb, and I am assuming the pepcock is conected directly to the other carb. Can someone verifiy this for me?

Thanks.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just find a way to run the hoses on the tank to the bottom of the bike, don't cap them though.

The tank needs to breath both in and out to avoid negative pressure ( vacum lock ) and positive pressure, which could cause flooding if pressure exceeds the ability of the float needle valves in your carbs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The tube coming out the back of the tank and going under the seat is not a tank vent, it is fuel overflow runoff.
If you overfill the tank, gas runs out the hole by the filler neck in between the inner and outer tank shell and out the drain at the back in to the tube and away.
PQ

·
Registered
1 Posts
88 ex 500 fuel line problems

im in california but i think my bike is from out of state. ive got two outlets on the tank one big and one small. ive got a main line running to the carbs
nowhere to go on the little one. ive got two ports on the carbs near the head presumably vaccum. and ive got a little hose coming of kca valve.
please help me figure this out

1 - 5 of 5 Posts