Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've seen some posts about batteries and charging them, etc.
Here is another one.
How many days can a battery last in a bike without starting it?
User's manual says something, but I've noticed it might be wrong. So I better ask the real experts. :D
Look, if I don't use the bike in 3-4 days it discharges easily.
Yesterday it started fine, but after driving for nearly two miles it just died when I stopped at a traffic light. I had to jump it with cables. :x
It has happened twice. This is a 2004 F250 with 1100 miles on it. I wonder if the battery could be messed up. I just checked voltage and values are 13.7 Volts nonrunning, 14.5 Volts @ idle, and 16.4 Volts @ 3000 RPM.
I will be out of town for 2 weeks and I wonder what's the best way to avoid this from happening.
Comments are welcome! :wink:

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
When the battery was first put in service it is critical that the battery be filled and charged overnight unless it was a sealed battery then just needs to have been charged.

Is your battery sealed or not?

My Ninja 250 has gone about 3 weeks so far without being started and it is fires up the first time. Your alternator sounds like its doing what its supposed to be and usually a battery lasts about 2 years. I have had some that have gone 4, but I usually just replace them before it became a real issue and leaves me stranded somewhere.

Batteries are always in a state of discharge, but usually somewhere around 1% a day which is why many riders use a Deltran Battery tender or Yuasa battery charger. Sears even makes a motorcycle charger, but I'm not sure if it will cycle into a trickle mode to prevent boil over when fully charged.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The battery is sealed, I can't refill it I assume.
I'll check for some.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Motpaka said:
The battery is sealed, I can't refill it I assume.
I'll check for some.
Thanks.
Ok - If you have a sealed battery the only thing you can do is re-charge it. If you have a friend with a trickle charger, borrow it or make it a purchase that will be worth while to keep your ride ready at all times.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
if your battery isnt lasting a couple days then you have a milliamp loss somewhere (bare wire grounded out on the frame sucking the battery down) my ZRX will start after sitting for a week without a problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting. I have a gorilla alarm installed. That's probably the reason why the battery drains in 2 - 3 days. Although it is not supposed to.
I'll disconnect the alarm and see if I get results.
Thanks for the feedback.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts