Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got about 8900 on the stock pads. I havn't had a chance to pull the calipers off and inspect them yet but on the way home from a 150 mile ride today they started squeaking, they have always been silent. They only make noise just as your about to stop, from about 10-0mph.:confused:

I'll know for sure once I look at em but I'm feeling lazy right now, it should be interesting to see everyone's numbers.

·
Loud Pipes Keep Me Awake
1,648 Posts
I got about 20,000 miles out of mine, but everyone I know can't seem to understand how I can get so many miles out of my brakes and tires.:lol:

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
8800 on original brake pads and tires. back tire still got one season left and pads still got about half life on front and 3/4 life on rear

EDIT:: My mother got a mear 3500 on her front pads. Rear shoes are still good. Dont know what happened there. She must be hard on the brakes or something.

·
Lets RIDE!
934 Posts
20,000 and counting! But I'm going to replace them this winter since, I've got new lines in and I want awesome brakes to go with it.
Rear brake..not so lucky, 5k..

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Just double check them, it might not be the discs hitting metal but just the pads have worn enough they're starting to squeal. All of my bikes have always had the odd (i.e. doesn't happen at every stop) low speed squeal even with lots of pad left.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just double check them, it might not be the discs hitting metal but just the pads have worn enough they're starting to squeal. All of my bikes have always had the odd (i.e. doesn't happen at every stop) low speed squeal even with lots of pad left.
Thats what I figured it is I'm going to check tonight.

·
rain is here
2,793 Posts
hey man!

I had 19.9k miles on them, all sorts of weather, and riding including 2 track days. In the second trackday they started fading towards the end of the heats, but other than that I had no problems.

Yes they did get sqweaky, for a few thousand miles, and then they stopped.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Sometimes dirt-grit can get caught between the rotor and pads which can cause a slight squeal when stopping. Try riding it for a little more and see what happens.

·
rain is here
2,793 Posts
how do u know when to replace the pads?
pads have wear grooves my stock ones ran somewhat parallel to the ground.

you can see them if you look at the gap between the disck brake and the pad you should see some lines on the brake pad.

·
The Cruising Gunsmith
1,459 Posts
Never wore a set all the way down on mine, but they go well past 30k if you run them. I replace them after a set number of years just for safety.

The old philososphy on designing brakes was the pads should wear and not the rotors.... on newer vehicles, it's the other way around. They use small, thin rotors that are designed to wear and that reduces weight. The metallic pads literally lathe the rotors away. I am not sure if new bullet bikes are designed to wear the rotors and pads at the same rate, but you should caliper the rotors when you check the pads.

·
The Cruising Gunsmith
1,459 Posts
how do u know when to replace the pads?
There is a spec for absolute minimum thickness of the pad at any point. They don't always wear evenly across the face. I recall the spec was some ridiculous value like .060" on mine, but I would never run one down to near that amount. Pads are too cheap to push the limit on.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts