Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently got a 2009 ninja 250 and I'm going out of town for a month in 2 weeks, the dealer said since I will have it in a garage it should be just fine without having to go through all the "long term storage" stuff. Still a bit worried though, any suggestions?

·
Line rider
326 Posts
For one month, run some seafoam in the fuel and put it on a battery tender. Check the tire pressure when you get back and enjoy the ride.

·
nu2kawi
2,707 Posts
A battery tender sounds like a good Idea but a month is not really a big concern, being that it's going to sit in a garage. Bikes are not that delicate.

·
We need a Sarcasm Font!
3,864 Posts
I've gone a month without riding or "storing" and mine did fine. Do you have anyone who can crank it for ya once a week?

·
TV Guru
11,779 Posts
A battery tender sounds like a good Idea but a month is not really a big concern, being that it's going to sit in a garage. Bikes are not that delicate.
Agreed, though you will want to disconnect it to avoid any potential drain on it. When you come back, you might want hook it up to the charger for a few minutes before cranking it up just in case the engine doesn't catch right off.

Cranking it once a week and just letting it idle would be bad for it.
Also agreed. It takes at least 10-15 minutes of running at cruising RPMs to really let a bike get up to temperature to eliminate moisture that tends to collect (in the exhaust and such) and to give the battery a decent charge. If you aren't going to ride the bike, don't bother starting it at all.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Along with the exhaust, the heat also gets rid of the condensation in the oil. Moisture in the oil is a bad thing.

There was a fellow in another thread with a brand new 250 that let the bike sit for a month and he seems to be having significant carb clotting. Had put Stabil in, but it is unclear if he ran it after to get it down into the carbs.

Brian

·
TV Guru
11,779 Posts
Along with the exhaust, the heat also gets rid of the condensation in the oil. Moisture in the oil is a bad thing.

There was a fellow in another thread with a brand new 250 that let the bike sit for a month and he seems to be having significant carb clotting. Had put Stabil in, but it is unclear if he ran it after to get it down into the carbs.

Brian
That's something people forget: you have to give it time to run through the system. I can go a mile or more before my carbs fully cycle out the gas that's in them. In short, it gives me just enough time to be getting out into traffic and well up to speed before it sputters out on me if I forget to turn the fuel on.

Of course, that means it takes that long (or longer) to get stabilizer through the system. When I put it in at the end of each season, if give the bike a good shake to mix it in the tank. Then I go for at least a 5 minute ride to be sure it gets all the way through the fuel system, but still keeps the tank full.

As a result, the bike starts right up each spring and the carbs have always been spotless inside.

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,189 Posts
Yeah, the 250 Ninjas really like fresh fuel, so ditto on the Seafoam. SF will keep the fuel like new longer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts