Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi...I just installed a new battery becasue the bike wasn't started in over 2 months...how long should I kkep the choke on and do I need to worry about anything else since it was sitting for so long??

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I normally turn my choke off when I hear the RPM's increase (in idle).

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
Ken said:
Thats the way I do it too. I always start it cold with the choke but when it revs high, I cut it back and let it idle while I gear up.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Ken said:
That's exactly what I do, too. The change in RPM's is subtle, but it's easy to hear if you're listening for it.

If the bike is running, just follow your maintenance schedule (especially lubrications), and all will be well. If the bike won't start, dirty carbs are probably the reason why. They can get gummed up if the gas sits in them for a while.
Curt

·
Registered
77 Posts
Very good question. I love reading the posts and actually learning more stuff everyday.

Here in the Boston, MA suburbia, it got down to 46 last night. I did use the choke longer than I normally would.

Normally I leave the choke running until i get my gear on, today it was on for about 3 mins or so. I learn more everyday. Thanks guys

Suresh

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

i try to use the choke as little as possible-the very minute it will idle
without it -its off (that's on the harley) i'd rather keep it running with the trottle if need be

course,on the kawi's i hardly ever use it on the 800 for more than
1 or 2 minutes - and on the 1600 what's a choke :lol:

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Choke usage

How long should I stay in first gear? The are many factors in that question as well. Normally, like bikeaholic stated you should use it to start it and then turn if off justa as soon as you can get the bike to idle on its own. You should also usually Blip or (quickly rev) the motor to get the excess gas to clear out ofyour engine and exhaust. just keep it running is all that is required. You cannot put a definate time on it because you may have different gear on your bike. Things such as the gas you use could change that amount of time that it takes to warm up and clear the engine...IT could be a very deep subject to go into, but for the most part only use the choke long enough to get the biek to the point wher it will idle on its own. Perhaps one of our Guru's could explain some things about winter setups and riding a bike in the winter...things like diferent plugs, airfilters (air has to pass through OIL saturated filters, and oil gets very thick), tire pressure checks...things to check in preparation... Gee, I can't find my snow studded ice tires...

·
Registered
305 Posts
Just out of crazy curiosity...why do they call it a choke? Doesn't the choke give the engine more gas? Does it actually 'choke' anything? :?:

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Carberators

Oh, to be young...in the days where we had a carb on a car it was easier to see why/how a choke works. You could remove the airbreather and see the choke plate laying nearly/completely closed causing the air/fuel mixture to run way to rich. once the engine warmed up the choke plate on the carb would open...Actually in the older days we used choke cables in our cars to contron the mixture. A bike is the same way. If you remove the airbox and look into yor carb you will see that the chokee cable moves a little plate. When it is not a wide open (streamlined position) it makes the air:fuel mixture rich. When you drive around this winter you may see cars spewing black fumes and you can even smell the gas coming through the exhaust pipes...this happens because on some cars people don't realize that the choke is stuck.

·
Registered
77 Posts
As far as my understanding goes. The choke actually chokes "Air". This usually results in a richer fuel mixture.

My 2 pennies.

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
My bike starts up really cold. I have to use the choke every time, unless I've ridden it within the last couple of hours. I also turn it off when I hear the RPMs speed up. I don't know why I didn't think about starting the bike, then gearing up. Duh... Thanks, Suresh!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Only have to hit the choke in the morning and once she will idle without it, I turn the choke off.(30sec - 1min)

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Choke

Read your service manuals...Only use the choke long enough to get the bike started, then once you turn it off you should give the bike a quick rap/rev to clear out the excess gas in he clyinders. Ride the biek easy at first to bring the oil temps up to temp as well as all the fluids and metals up to temp before you use the throttle to hard...

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
choke

thats about rite, 1Adam12. even with snow on the ground about a minute will suffice...

·
Registered
115 Posts
My bike always starts just a little bit before I push the start button. Kinda loke a good hunting dog. 8)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts