Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
From what I've read (my 05 1500 Classic only has 13K) the first thing that goes is the cam chain tensioners (they need to be "extended"). It's a simple fix and inexpensive. Usually around 30-40K of mileage.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Do ALL of the scheduled maintenance on time and change your oil every three to four thousand miles and it should last 100,000 mile or more. I have a Friend that rides an 06 Electra Glide Classic with 99,000 mile on it. He is religious about maintenance and oil changes.

·
Premium Member
4,749 Posts
Replaced the main wiring harness on the '05 a year and a half ago, around 18k. Never did find the failure point, it was easier/cheaper to replace than track down the problem. No other problems

·
Pinson, Alabama
416 Posts
I have 8800 miles on my 08 1500.

Why are the front spokes deteriorating so soon? I am taking back to the dealer this weekend.

I want a new front wheel and spokes....

·
living in 3/4 time
321 Posts
Just went over 34K this weekend and no problems, just minor maintance. But if it died I could get a new bike...I need to start racking on miles to get to 100K or figure out a way to break it :p

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
My 01 had 58,000 when I sold it this spring. I had really wanted to keep it to at least 100,000, but a Connie C-10 got in the way of that. :)

I did regular maintenance and had no problems prior to selling. At about 50k I had the lifters replaced, but only because they had to take the motor apart and fix my screw-up with getting an exhaust bolt stuck. They had to take it to a machine shop for rrepair. While the engine was down, I had them replace the lifters. They said they weren't bad, but I had visions of running it to 100k, so had them do it. They said everything else inside was just fine.

I replaced the clutch plates at 55,000. Front brakes at about 28,000.

Other than that, just changing fluids.

·
Registered
406 Posts
how many miles ?

well, i bought my 2003 nomad 1500 with 38,000 miles back in 06, and it just rolled over 100,000 i never suspected it was going to last this long running this good, but the way i see it, there is no reason why i shouldn't get at least another 50,000 miles, the motor feels as good as when i bought it, i change oil every 3,000 miles, although, from the time i got the bike until about 3000 mile ago, i was running semi synthetic Motul 5100 oil,on my last oil change i went with Penzoil gold longlife diesel 15-40 and i don't feel any difference, so i hope to post again in the next 50,000 miles, ride safe!!

Jesus

·
Deeppurple52
2,072 Posts
I sold mine at 52,000+. It was running fine at the time but only expected it to last ~75K. I had already done timing chain, clutch, fuel pump, fork seals, drive shaft and lots of things I don't remember. Ther dealer sez the bottom end is good for about 90K. A coworker has 62K on his and it is getting very tired. Kawis are not the most robust of the cruisers but the way most ride 50K is a good number. Although it can happen, it is rare indeed to find more than a precious few kawi cruisers with 100K.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I have 93,000 on my '96 1500. The last 27,000 are mine. Not sure on the history of the bike before me. I have done some minor repairs. I've had the engine out twice now. Once for cam plugs and such, the other to do some head work. Burns about 3/4 of a qt. between oil changes at 2000. Runs great and I see no reason why I can't put another 30k on it.........or more.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have 37,000 on my '06 1500 Classic, which I bought at the end of '06 and put on the road in Mar. of '07. No problems whatsoever. I have it serviced every 3,000 miles; it seems to get better every year. I see no reason why this bike won't do 100,000 miles.

windman

·
Deeppurple52
2,072 Posts
Food for thought.... The first 50,000 miles you can expect decent reliability. The next 50K? Unknown. I had no problems the first 32K, several up to 40K, few more to 52K. At that point the writing was on the wall. Since we spend a lot of time on the road, it made no sense to press our luck. We get new bikes every 12-18 months, generally around 50K miles to avoid the unknown. Works for us.

·
Rebel Rider
3,647 Posts
I sold mine at 52,000+. It was running fine at the time but only expected it to last ~75K. I had already done timing chain, clutch, fuel pump, fork seals, drive shaft and lots of things I don't remember. Ther dealer sez the bottom end is good for about 90K. A coworker has 62K on his and it is getting very tired. Kawis are not the most robust of the cruisers but the way most ride 50K is a good number. Although it can happen, it is rare indeed to find more than a precious few kawi cruisers with 100K.
Lots of owners on VROC and DELPHI have 100,000 or more. Q-dog has over 200,000 on his Nomad. The 800 and 1500 are very reliable engines, they last a long time with proper maintenance.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.