Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone knows how many miles (approx.) left when the light of the gas turn on?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is what I thinks. Maybe a galon that means a 30 to 35 miles before the moto turn off.

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,189 Posts
I also suspect one gallon, however I tried to run my tank low/out today on my 900 and had 235 miles on the trip meter. The light had been on solid (didn't flicker or go out when turning) for approx 20 miles. I still only put 4.5 gallons in my 5.3 gallon tank. I guess I am just going to have to put a gas can on my bike and try for 300! This particular tank netted 53.45 mpg . . . I average close to 50 mpg, so this tank was an 'easy' tank.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Don't think of it as that precise. It is merely indicating the fuel is low. On my 1600 classic sometimes I can go 50 miles after it comes on, and sometimes it starts to stumble after 15 miles. Fortunately so far I have been close to a gas station when that has happened. Now I look for gas when it comes on, and if I am down to one bar on the gauge, I will get gas if it is known to be over 30 miles to the next station whether the light is on or off.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Makes me nervous when that light comes on,I rarely let it get that low.

·
Vegas Vulcan
1,161 Posts
I've gone 30 miles but after that you're on borrowed time. I have had it begin to die when I was so low that I had to lean off the right side of the bike to make the bike lean to the left to keep fuel to the pump. Anymore, as they say at Pep Boys, "When the light comes on, come on in".

·
but still a NooBie
1,104 Posts
Pumps inside the gas tank use the gasoline to dissipate the heat they generate. Low/little gas = low/little heat removal. Not worth any possible damage, IMHO. I get more gas whenever the light starts to flicker.

·
VN 900 Classtom
1,689 Posts
on my VN900 the manual states .9 of a gallon and is somewhat accurate because i've gone around 50 miles after it turned on and still had some left.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Me too, I just want to know. Sometimes the next gas station is not near and I prefer to re-fill after the light go on, but you never know.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Take some spare fuel along in a saddle bag or something sometime. You can find out exactly how far you can go, and when it runs out, you can fill it enough to make it to a gas station. Knowing just how much you have is something important to know and not find out when you really need it the most.

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
i go now more that 25-30 on the V2K and no more than 35 on the 14

·
900 LT
1,135 Posts
Take some spare fuel along in a saddle bag or something sometime. You can find out exactly how far you can go, and when it runs out, you can fill it enough to make it to a gas station. Knowing just how much you have is something important to know and not find out when you really need it the most.
not sure running a fuel injected, electric pump bike out of fuel is a good idea.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
not sure running a fuel injected, electric pump bike out of fuel is a good idea.
My Triumph is fuel injected and it survived it. :shock:

it's actually better...if any time you run out of gas is...because the pump primes the fuel/injector when you turn the key on and before you hit the starter. Besides that, you don't actually have to run dry. you can just run it until it starts to stumble and then pull over. Either way, then you know definitely how long you can go and plan accordingly. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts