Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rode 23 miles today, and I had to stop. The cold did not bother me, 9 degrees out. The wind was just to hard to work with. She kept blowing me all over the place, at least that's how it felt. I had to move slower and with cautious turns.

I stopped at a place for lunch and then headed home. I didn't see one other bike while I was out. Maybe I'm the only nut out there today. That's what the waitress told me at the diner. She said there are usually a few bikers in for lunch, but not today.:smile:

D

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
It's a balmy 21 out today, was -2 yesterday. I have to proof the roads tomorrow before taking the bike to work. If the roads are clear, I ride. The 7 degree day really didn't make my hand feel very good so I put handlbar chaps on. Behind the windshield and engine gaurd chaps, I don't get cold, but the hands do.

We'll get through the cold part of the year soon and it'll be 40 in the morning again. We would have a good, cold and wet year the year I buy a motorcycle. sigh

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We saw some snow on thursday, but the temps wamed up and it rained on Friday, so there is a coating on the grass, but the roads are clear. Saturday was a great day for riding, but a cold front moved in from Canida over night, that sent the temps tumbling into the low teens, and the wind picked up so it's 8 or 9 degrees real feel out there.

D

·
President, L7 Club
462 Posts
You're wise to err on the side of caution. When in doubt, chose the option that let's you "live to ride another day". Safety comes first.

DS

·
Registered
789 Posts
A big 7 degrees wind chill -6 right now. Big warm up tomorrow up to 20 but oh white stuff expected just what I don't want. My preference is 32 and rising and light winds, sun is nice but not necessary.

·
Vicrory is Mine
2,489 Posts
It was a beautiful 50 degrees today... went for a nice long ride to Amelia Island and back along A1A.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A big 7 degrees wind chill -6 right now. Big warm up tomorrow up to 20 but oh white stuff expected just what I don't want. My preference is 32 and rising and light winds, sun is nice but not necessary.
Did you get out there and ride today Zero?

D

·
Registered
10,122 Posts
Bright sunshine, breezy & all the way up to 25* today. I was tempted but wussyness got the better of me! :biggrin: 8)

Sittin here watching Greenbay & Giants & being thankful I'm not there!
-24* wind chill! I love football but the heck with that!! :eek:

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I havnt rode this weekend as it is in the teens, but I am also waiting on a new back tire so for safety reasons I thought about taking it easy this weekend, but I do hope to get out when its really cold so I can say I did it.

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
9 degrees?...you could count how far i'd go in tenths

·
Registered
196 Posts
I don't take my bike out if it's below freezing. They tend to spray a liquid de-icer on the roads that I don't want all over my bike. Calcium chloride or magnesium chloride, I think. Either one would pretty well mess up chrome.

0 miles....final answer, Regis.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
I've done 12 degrees for 20 miles and that was enough. ;)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Been riding almost every evening here in Vegas.
A few nights caught me down to about 38, and that was probably as low as I would ride at.
Having to wear more layers to ride colder than that takes some of the fun out of it... in my opinion.

But, luckily Las Vegas has fairly mild winters, and almost 0 snow.

·
Driver of the Motobago
181 Posts
I live in southern callyfornooya. As long as it's clear and dry, I have'nt found a day too cold to ride, I've been cold on a few, but not too cold to ride...................hm, let me think, 9 degrees.....nope, no way, I'd be splitin fire wood and drinkin hot buttered rums

1 - 20 of 43 Posts