Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Regularly? I rode for about 1 year back in the '80's and I'm just getting started again. I've never done anything other than take the key with me and on the V900, lock the steering since I have that option. While looking at bike stuff I see a wide range of locks, including disc brake locks and cable locks. Do you normally lock your bike? I could see if I parked it outside my house/apartment on a regular basis (which I don't do). How about when you ride to a restaurant or to the Home Depot? Do you add extra locks? How about in an overnight trip outside a hotel? How about electronic alarms?

·
Registered
414 Posts
I never locked my bike, I think most bike thieves go after the Harleys, they are easier to sell then metric cruisers,i.e. bring more money.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I hardly ever lock my 01 Nomad FI. I figure it's insured is it get's stolen and oh well it's time to buy a new bike.

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
I only lock my bike if I'm staying in a motel overnight and have to leave it in the parking lot unattended. Then I use a disk lock. Just for regular riding and stopping around town, I never lock it.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I usually do the fork lock when I'm out (restaurant, home Depot, etc) but not at home or at friends/neighbors homes. I don't own a chain. cable, brake lock or that sort of thing.

As some one mentioned, not Harley and it's insured!

·
Proud Hokie!!
564 Posts
Like the others...I lock the forks when at work during the day and if left unattended. No other locks for me.

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
YOU CAN LOCK THEM?!?!?

seriously I hardly ever lock mine, if a good thief realy wants your bike, unless it's bolted to the blacktop, it's gone. I just keep full insurance on it.

·
Premium Member
4,749 Posts
Steering lock if I'm going into a store or restaurant. Overnight at hotel I use steering lock, disc lock on rear, disturbance alarm and park near H-D's or Wings if there are any.

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
Only steering lock (all the time). I've definitely thought about purchasing a lock for my little Ninjette as I do live in a large, populated city (not that theft doesn't happen everywhere, but you know...). Like someone said already, I've got her fully covered under insurance and I'm not particularly paranoid about her being stolen.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I used to live in an apartment complex that was regularly hit by bike thieves. I locked mine to a thick metal pole with the lock and chain combo pictured below and never had a problem. I have the 14mm version on the left.

Then again 2 guys who work out can lift my ride, so it may be a different story with a heavier bike

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Fork lock 100 % of time. In garage at home, at work its very secure.

I had a honda 750 stolen 20 years ago...

·
Alf not Elf
3,412 Posts
All the time except when locked in the garage at home.

·
Riding daily
4,688 Posts
I use the fork lock most of the time but that is about it. If someone wants it that bad they're going to get. I have it fully insured as well.

·
The Widows Son
9,126 Posts
Just the fork lock... I'm too paranoid about driving off with one of those disc locks still in place and destroying my bike. It would definitely suck if it got stolen but that's what we have insurance for.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I lock the forks all the time every time. I use the disc lock when I am out and about. I have a alarm on the disclock in case anyone moves it around. I put too much effort into buying parts and adding stuff on to let it go easily. Even if I get a full payout by the insurance I would still have to buy everything again and install it.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts