Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Deeppurple52
2,072 Posts
A HUGE AMOUNT. DO NOT RIDE IN THE WINTER WITHOUT ONE PERIOD!!! Being cool (sic) is meaningless when you're freezin yer butt off.

·
Registered
141 Posts
How wintery is it really in Mesa, AZ??

It can't be any colder than Dallas...hell, we actually got 10" of snow here last year.

·
Registered
15,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
:shock: Well, it appears that it would make a difference. :lol: Thanks for posting. Still unsure what I'll do. I've got some time anyways. Can't really afford a shield right now. Guess I'll just make sure I'm layered good.

Big difference Ryan. Stop by my place some time and I'll let you ride the 1500 with the shield, lowers, and highway bars with chaps on them. Heated grips is the only thing I'm missing.
Thanks, Dave. I just might take you up on that. That is if you have that CT off by now. :biggrin:

·
Registered
15,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
A HUGE AMOUNT. DO NOT RIDE IN THE WINTER WITHOUT ONE PERIOD!!! Being cool (sic) is meaningless when you're freezin yer butt off.
Well, for the record. I don't care about the cool factor. I just don't like the way they look on the bike. Nothing more, nothing less.

·
Registered
644 Posts
There are other options than shields. Corbin makes a small fairing that may be more to your liking. It is called a Trim tab.

Personally I like the one on my LT. I am thinking of getting a full fairing in the future.

As a side note. At 32 degF, and 60 MPH, the wind chill is -5 degF. Brrrrrrr.
High snot factor.

·
Patriot Guard Rider
967 Posts
I rode all winter last year and plan to this year and the windshield is definitely worth it in the cold. I'm like NCDave and have the engine guard chaps and lowers as well. Anything to knock the wind off is worth it in the winter. I actually thought about getting hand deflectors last year but bought a heavier set of gloves and got by. I live about 30 miles east of Fayetteville and the morning ride home from work can be get cold even with the windshield.

Charles

·
Carbon Based Life Form
1,180 Posts
Not to nitpick here, but on the other side of what these other posters say, I think it depends entirely on how you're decked out.

If you've got full gloves, FF helmet, layered clothing underneath a good leather jacket and chaps, the windshield isn't going to help very much. The only thing it will do is deflect some of the air that hits your neck where the FF and jacket meet. If you wear a turtleneck (I know, I know...how UNCOOL!) under the jacket, that's very very minor.

Step away from the pipe and come back to reality.:eek: I ride totally covered and have even wore my snowmobile pants under my chaps. The windshield makes a night and day difference for this rider. I live and ride in Lake Tahoe it gets cold up here. You must have never rode a bike with a good windshield in cold weather. I ride with out my shield 98% of the time but the wind chill factor when it is 23 degrees is off set by my Memphis Fats 21" quick release shield.

·
Registered
15,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
There are other options than shields. Corbin makes a small fairing that may be more to your liking. It is called a Trim tab.

Personally I like the one on my LT. I am thinking of getting a full fairing in the future.

As a side note. At 32 degF, and 60 MPH, the wind chill is -5 degF. Brrrrrrr.
High snot factor.
They don't have that one for the 900. Not really my taste, but I appreciate the link.

I do want a fairing and have my eye on the Corbin Fleetliner fairing, Corbin Motorcycle Seats & Accessories | Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic | 800-538-7035 It seems to be a little smaller fairing than most I've seen and that's what I like. Much more expensive than a regular shield, but that's the route I want to go. May decide on a different one. I think, when I can, I'll probably get a windshield until I can get the fairing.

I appreciate the response. For right now I just need to layer up better than I have. Guess I'll riding in camo for the time being. Got to put that good ol' Army cold weather gear to some use! :lol:

·
Registered
83 Posts
I just got a Memphis Shades 21" for my VTX wiith the lowers and as others have said here it makes a world of difference.....my normal cold weather layered outfit is usually a t shirt, base layer thermal type, turtleneck and a sweat shirt with a Cortech GX Sport Jacket with a liner.....long johns with either fleece lined jeans or depending how cold, Icon Recon Jeans. Even when layered up like that I would get a chill and a 1/2 cruising down Rt 3 at 5 in the morning....put the shield on and it was like "Who turned the wind off?" My neck and chest stay very warm...almost too warm...my biggest gripe is my Full Face shield fogs up not and does not defog as quickly as it did without the shield.

I got the quick release mounts so within 4-5 seconds I can be windshieldless if I so choose

I love it

Goose

·
Long live the V2K!
593 Posts
On my V2K I have NC Switchblade 2-Up windshield, chrome lowers, and Airlite engine bar chaps. This whole setup really keeps most of the wind off me. V2nkBob and I test drove a Streetglide and an Ultraglide the other day and with the exception of my hands my setup on my bike did as good or better job keeping the wind off me as the Ultraglide did. I was very surprised by that because the Ultra has a fairing! With some handlebar guards I'll have as good or better wind avoidance setup as the HD Ultraglide.

·
Hoof Hearted?
717 Posts
The reward for riding in on those 38 degree mornings is getting to ride home at 60 degrees. I love it because I can wear ATGATT and not be too hot.
+11111111

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I only read a part of this thread, and basically, my opinion is the Mean Streak doesnt look too good with ANY windshield, so none of them are going to look great for all year round riding.

However, when it gets cold, functionality should take precedence over form. So with that in mind, I went with the biggest most obstrusive windshield I could find...the Memphis Fats 21". Yes, its huge, yes its gaudy, yes it kills my fuel economy...but when its cold out, it blocks almost all the wind and it allows me to still enjoy riding when I would otherwise have the bike in the garage! :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
I used to think if you want a windshield, get a car. But riding on the Interstate for 2 or 3 hours at 70+ mph even in warm weather will beat you down. You don't notice the improvement until you've ridden with a windshield. Then adding the cold weather makes it no contest.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I gotta get back to the states to get a windshield for my new v2k. Riding without one stinks and they dont sell them here yet.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I had a quick attach on my Harley and would put it on in the fall and take it off in the spring, I can't even imagine riding in the winter without the thing.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I have a "oversized" Rifle replacement windshield on my Nomad, also have larger lowers which I custom made, they make a world of difference!! Although it depends on what type of bike you are on and if you want a certain look- most Meanies don't look as cool with a shield, but it can the greatest thing ever when you get stuck in the cold. BB

21 - 40 of 44 Posts