Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
NO---I ain't dead--yet
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried asking in the other forum----no bites----so I'll try here.

My bike I had before had a shaft drive----so I'm pretty unfamiliar with all the in's and out's of a chain drive.

I adjusted it exactly per the instuctions in the owners manual---I even drug out the torque wrench and torqued everything to spec. Lubed it with chain wax per the intructions on the can. All my adustments were dead on by the instructions---double checked it 3 or 4 times.

Seems like the little spocket(in the front) has a lot of noise---no grinding sounds or anything like that. Kind of a whizzing sound.

Is this just my bike loosening up and normal sounds---or is something wrong??

I also took my helmet off(because all I can hear is wind noise in that thing) and went up and down the block----when I pull in the clutch and let it coast---seems like a lot of noise coming from the rear sprocket---again, no grinding sounds.

Is this normal???

Thanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
sounds like my bike. I am riding a 800A. seems like the sounds you describe started around 1400 miles. I am going to asume its normal. like you I like all my adjustments up to snuff. If we could get Bikeaholics input then we would have the straight poop on these chains.

·
NO---I ain't dead--yet
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup---mine had around 1500 miles on it when I first posted this----now I'm up to 1600 something.

Seems like I'm putting a 100 miles a day on it------when I get good riding weather.

Must just be things wearing in and loosening up.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

yup-they are a little noisy-my 800 is with 8k miles on it now
the whizzing sound is good description-that's what mine does -
its prolly normal-just check the sprocket teeth for any unusal wear(rounded off teeth)

these are o-ring chains that only really need lubrication to keep the rust out-when you lube
it don't worry about the link so much as the side of the cahin where the orings are-thats
the part to lube-if you ride in alot of dirt or water do it more often

check for chainwax buildup and clean it if it looks cruddy-down at the bottom of the chain
where it exits the side cover lube tends to build up in this area and i have to clean it out
every once in a while

i've had no problem with my chain at all - it works fine except fot the little noise
:wink:

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Chain lube

When you lube the chain it should be ritht after a ride while the chain is still relatively warm, as it cools it pulls the lube in...Some people will lube the chain when it is cold or to cool and then wipe it off to soon...Spray the heck out of it when it is hot have paper down so that you have no mess when you are done, and don't worry about wiping off any excess...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Chain noise

Looks like I've got the most misle on my 8oo drifter. I changed the chain at 18k and the front sproket too. My continual noise was minamal before that but now with the new sprocket and chain I get noise when I let of the throttle. Be sure to check your front sprocket. It get all the torque from the motor. Happy riding

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
SPROCKETS

Make sure that you check the rear sprocket closely. it should be a perfect "U" shape or you will put wear on your chain very rapidly...and lube the chain right after a ride while it is stil hot. As the chain cools it will draw the lubricant into and past the orings

1 - 7 of 7 Posts