Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the MOM number of quarts to use on an oil change for the 2008 1500 Classic. Dealer I bought from says they change the oil in all their used bikes but this bike only had 320 miles on it and the oil in the sight glass looked fairly black. So, I'm going to change it. Thanks for the input.

·
Ahhh Crap
2,344 Posts
Doesn't take long for the oil to discolor and the quantity is also written on a small decal near the filler cap. Also tends to look darker than it really is because there's no lightbulb in the crankcase. Would be neat if when we removed the filler cap a light turned on inside the engine kinda like a fridge.

·
What can I spend my $$ on
619 Posts
I wouldn't worry to much about the MOM just yet . Change the oil and filter and fill it halfway between the lines then fire it up for a few minutes then let it sit for 5 mins then add again to bring it up to the mid level again.

·
Super Moderator
10,838 Posts
I wouldn't worry to much about the MOM just yet . Change the oil and filter and fill it halfway between the lines then fire it up for a few minutes then let it sit for 5 mins then add again to bring it up to the mid level again.
Should take about 3.5 qt.
Maybe just a ounce or 2 less, but close.

·
Premium Member
4,749 Posts
You might want to clean the pump screen too. This was mine after the dealer did the break-in service.

·
NXT Wax Inhaler
822 Posts
Doesn't take long for the oil to discolor and the quantity is also written on a small decal near the filler cap. Also tends to look darker than it really is because there's no lightbulb in the crankcase. Would be neat if when we removed the filler cap a light turned on inside the engine kinda like a fridge.
A light would be neat.

The decal on mine is all in liters. 3.1 liters with a oem filter change, which is about 3.3 qts.

Now the question: Is the 3.3 qts supposed to put the level midway between the low and high marks, or the the high mark, or to the low mark?

I put in 3 qts, started the bike, let is settle then just added till where I wanted it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts